Dean of Marketing and Communications
Muskegon Community College, an associate degree-granting institution of higher education, is a center for lifelong learning which provides persons the opportunity to attain their educational goals by offering programs that respond to individual, community, and global needs.
General Description: Actively and strategically leads, implements, monitors, and evaluates marketing and communication including the advertising, promotions, public relations and internal communications to support objectives, increase positive exposure, enrollment, and knowledge of the institution.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 1, 2021
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or a related field, Master’s Degree preferred with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in Communication and Marketing.
- Experience working in marketing and/or communications for education or higher education preferred.
- Progressively responsible experience in communications, community relations, customer service, advertising, or marketing, of which at least 3 years were leading effective marketing campaigns with a focus on branding, customer engagement, and community outreach.
- Must possess a strong ability to work with all departments and offices regarding outreach and marketing.
- Demonstrated commitment to collaboration, customer service, and developmental leadership.
- Record of establishing and growing relationships with business partners.
- Demonstrated thought leadership and collateral content development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of brand development and maintaining identity standards.
- At least 3 years of supervisory or management experience focused on employee development and engagement preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with digital advertisement platforms, CRM, and web design, and social media channels with measurement and industry changes.
- Demonstrated organizational ability, attention to detail, solid decision-making, and project management skills to manage multiple projects at one time.
- Knowledge of market research design, methodologies, survey implementation and data analysis with a demonstrated ability to collect, compile, analyze and interpret the data/information to develop KPI/ROI measurements to meet defined marketing goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills demonstrating the ability to sustain communication with diverse groups, anticipate problems, and reconcile conflicts.
- Requires personal transportation to and from extension centers or other locations as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to people of all ages, races, and social-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated use of tact, judgement and discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Highly motivated and solution oriented with a high degree of integrity, ethics and dedication to the mission of the college.
- Strong creative, strategic, organizational, planning and time management skills.
- Ability to improve efficiencies, while building relationships using strong analytical and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work irregular schedule including evenings and possible weekends.
- Direct, implement, monitor, and evaluate marketing and communication strategies including the advertising, promotions, public relations and internal communications to support marketing objectives and increase positive exposure.
- Use marketing research to refine strategy and tactics in support of priorities identified in the college marketing and communications plan.
- Hire, motivate, mentor, counsel, coach, evaluate, develop, and discipline departmental staff as appropriate with sound supportive leadership and supervisory skill.
- Assess, develop, and execute comprehensive marketing and communications strategies while measuring and reporting performance of campaigns.
- Utilizing data to evaluate campaigns, events, communication, and marketing materials to strategically and effectively reach key target audiences and stakeholders.
- Oversee collaboration on media outreach efforts to implement strategies, by supporting social media communications, press releases, and overall approach.
- Craft consistent marketing messages and developing approaches to communicate MCC’s story to the public and other audiences.
- Collaborate and provide thought-leadership and perspective for adoption of emerging marketing and communication strategies, technologies, policies and procedures where appropriate.
- Provides effective management of the College fiscal resources including fiscal responsibility for the budget process in the division.
- Oversee collaboration with Student Services to implement and execute enrollment initiatives and incentives.
- Support and guide development of creative solutions for internal clients’ branding, marketing, website, communication and public relations needs.
- Manage, measure and continually improve College policies and processes related to communication efforts to employees, faculty and staff, including the College’s website.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical, Mental, and Environment Requirements Include:
☒ Detailed Work
☒ Student Contact
☒ Deadline oriented
☒ Problem Situations
☒ Multiple Priorities & Demands
☒ Emergency Situations
☐ On-call Availability
☒ Continual Interruptions
☒ Working Alone
☒ Faculty Contact
☒ Working with Others
☒ Standing & Walking
☒ Lifting up to 10 lbs. ☐ Up to 25 lbs. ☐ Up to 50 lbs. ☐ 80 + lbs.
☐ Pushing, Pulling, Twisting, Bending
☐ Climb or Balance
☐ Stoop, Kneel, Crouch, or Crawl
☐ Handle or Feel
☐ Reach with Hands and Arms
☒Talking or hearing
☐ Working Overhead
☒ Speak in English via Phone or In Person
☒ Close, Distance, Peripheral, and Color Vision along with Depth Perceptions
☒ Ability to Adjust and Focus
☐ Exposure to wet, humid conditions (non-weather), fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme heat/cold; and moderate to loud noise levels.
☒ Normal Office environment with little, if, any, discomfort due to heat, dust, noise and the like. Ability to travel to all campus locations required.
Muskegon Community College continues to promote staff diversity, and is an equal opportunity employer. MCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, political persuasion, disability, height, weight, veteran status, age or any other protected class in any of its educational programs, activities or employment. Minorities, women, veterans, and the physically challenged are encouraged to apply. Anyone with a disability will be reasonably accommodated by the College. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or assistance in applying for this position, please contact the Human Resources Office