Senior Associate, Clinical Trials and Corporate Contracts
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is seeking a Senior Associate, Clinical Trials & Corporate Contracts. This position supports the Center for Clinical Trials and Corporate Contracts in the Office of Research and Development and is involved in the structuring and negotiating basic-, service- and clinical-research agreements with corporate sponsor’s collaborators, and other partners. This person will collaborate with internal partners as well as budget staff to structure contracts and provide overall clinical and corporate contract project management.
UMB offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to eligible employees. This position receives an annual leave package starting with 22 accrued vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days, and 3 personal days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; professional learning and development opportunities; flexible schedules and teleworking options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Administer, review, negotiate, analyze, and draft contract terms for corporate sponsored research agreements (material transfer, confidentiality agreements, research (basic) agreements, sponsored and UMB-initiated CTAs, research services agreements, master agreements, and collaboration agreements).
- Ensure contract represents campus commitments and ensures compliance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, and policies.
- Provide ongoing in-service training to faculty and study teams.
- Evaluate and develop potential corporate-funded research collaborations and other corporate-funded research-driven business relationships.
- Coordinate project management to include ensuring project compliance, scheduling, planning, change of scope impact analysis, reports on progress, and cost analysis.
- Provide sophisticated analysis and solutions to complex problems; initiates and develops plans and methods to address function goals and short term projects; contributes to planning, executing, and status reporting of short and long term projects; contributes to proposal and implementation of new or revised procedures, practices, or policies; guides and assists others in concepts in field of work.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as science, engineering, business, pre-law or other discipline appropriate to position.
Experience:Three (3) years of related experience in contract development, contract negotiation, project/research management in a health or medical research environment.
Other: Juris Doctor and two (2) years of related experience in contract development, negotiation, project management in a health or medical research environment may be substituted for education and experience. Juris Doctor heavily preferred. Experience in biological, chemical, or medical research setting also heavily preferred.
Annual financial disclosure required by Maryland State Law.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Ability to read and comprehend technical scopes-of-works and protocols describing basic and/or clinical research projects and to apply that information in the review, development and negotiation of research contracts.
- Knowledge of principles and practices pertaining to developing and negotiating clinical and/or corporate contracts and collaboration agreements in compliance with sponsor, federal, state and university policies and regulations.
- Familiarity with intellectual property, technology transfer, conflict of interest and conflict of commitment concepts.
- Familiarity with development of corporate-sponsored research budgets for both basic and clinical research projects, including a basic understanding of Medicare coverage analysis and billing concepts associated with clinical trials.
- Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences. Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology. Strategic and analytical thinking skills with an ability to solve problems and make decisions. Ability to make persuasive proposals to third parties. Ability to prioritize ongoing and new projects as well as conduct research and gather information.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Writes and presents information in a clear and concise way. Interprets and understands written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrate professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with others to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers.
Hiring Range: $63,000 - $75,000 (commensurate with education and experience)
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.