Nursing Informatics Systems Specialist I
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet® organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolina’s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
Department Clinical Education and Professional Development
Position Title: Nursing Informatics Systems Specialist I
The Nursing Informatics Systems Specialist I designs, implements, evaluates, optimizes, and advocates education for best practice utilization of technology solutions to support patient care and clinical practice for healthcare clinicians to improve clinical processes and patient outcomes. This includes the Maestro Care (Epic) Electronic Health Record (EHR) and can include other clinical information technology (IT) systems.
The incumbent will work closely with clinical users, operational management, provider champions, and Duke Health Technology Solutions (DHTS) applications staff to conduct EHR training for healthcare clinicians. Other educational duties includes development of training materials for EHR system updates and maintaining the EHR training environments.
Serves as Maestro Care EHR training application expert for base functionality for various clinicians that can include providers, nurses, and other ancillary clinicians. Serves as an informatics education liaison to specific entities as assigned. Supports clinical IT governance principles including one patient - one record – one system. Reports to the Maestro Care Inpatient Training Manager.
Level 1: Nursing Informatics Systems Specialist (NISS)
- Obtain and maintain Epic certification and/or proficiency as defined by management which may include a combination of classroom instruction at Epic (Madison, Wisconsin), self-directed learning, multiple project assignments and competency exams within the defined timeline. This may also include virtual training by Epic staff.
- Conducts Maestro Care classroom and virtual training
- Updating training documentation with EHR system changes
- Maintain Maestro Care training environment specific for an Epic application
- Interprets and analyzes systems, data, and information with supervision
- Collaborates on project teams throughout the system life cycle
- Participates in Nova Note review for Maestro Care releases/updates/upgrades to determine impact to clinicians and workflows
- Collaborates with informatics analysts on the clinical workflows and associated training needs for clinicians related to orientation, system revisions, and system upgrades.
- Participates in some planning and providing customer updates to Super-User groups in collaboration with the informatics analysts
- Serves on committees, task forces, learning from defects, root cause analysis, and other work groups related to clinical information systems and documentation
- Makes oral and written presentations to project teams and management
- Coordinates and operationalizes simple to moderately complex projects with supervision
- Updates user, operational and department documentation including downtime procedures.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Education: NISS I: Requires a bachelor’s degree in nursing.
Experience: NISS I: Five years of nursing experience. One year of experience as a clinical super-user for Epic or other clinical IT solutions.
Certifications: NISS I: Current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina required.
Knowledge and Skills
- Able to conduct training to various clinicians in the use of Duke Health’s EHR (Maestro Care)
- Able to apply knowledge of adult learning theor
- Knowledge of professional nursing theory, evidence-based practice, clinical practice standards and scope of advanced nursing role
- Able to provide leadership and promote change in a positive manner that supports all employees
- Able to independently seek out resources and solve complex problems even under stressful and/or crisis situations
- Able to organize multiple work streams, prioritize work efforts, and remain focused
- Able to communicate effectively with patients, families, visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership, and others
- Able to prepare and deliver reports and presentations
- Able to use and learn new software programs
- Able to assist users of all levels in best use of information systems
- Ability to translate business or clinical process into requirements for a technical solution.
Required Qualifications at this Level
BSN required along with coursework in mathematics, computer science or a computer-related field.
Work requires five years of clinical nursing experience to include at least one year of computer experience.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina required. BLS required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
Job Code: 00005364 NURSING INFORMATICS SYS SP I
Job Level: G2
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.