STEM Advisor (Part-time Remote) non-benefited position
Category: Part Time Non-Benefited Positions
Department: Advising & Life Map
Locations: Boston, MA
Posted: Jan 11, 2021
Type: PT No Benefits
Ref No.: 127457
About Bunker Hill Community College:
Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC), located in Boston, Massachusetts, is the largest community college in Massachusetts, with more than 19,000 students enrolled annually. BHCC, founded in 1973, is fully accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
With two main campuses in Charlestown and Chelsea, in addition to three satellite campuses and several instructional centers throughout the Greater Boston Area, BHCC offers a wide range of learning options to suit the diverse needs of our student body. Students can choose from day, afternoon, evening, late-evening, weekend, web-based and distance-learning courses to fit their busy schedules.
BHCC is proud to be the most affordable community college in Massachusetts. We offer more than 100 academic programs, including associate degree programs, certificate programs and programs designed to allow students to complete their first two years of a bachelor's degree before transferring to a four-year university. Our dedicated, caring faculty and counselors are here to help students achieve their personal, academic and career goals.
Advising & LifeMap is looking for a professional advisor to assist with the advising and registration of new and continuing students enrolling in academic programs within the Science, Engineering and Mathematics (SEM) Division. In addition, the professional in this role will participate in grant-related reporting and in meetings /programs associated with grant and advising activities. Serve as a resource to the SEM Division and its faculty with regard to advising services.
*This position is grant funded until September 21, 2021.
- Provide academic advising and registration assistance for targeted populations of SEM students;
- Verify student eligibility for STEM Starter Academy Summer Program and enroll eligible students in courses;
- Maintain knowledge of the SEM Division Associate Degree and Certificate programs, curricula and course sequencing;
- Assist STEM students with course selection, course sequencing and academic pathways;
- Understand transfer opportunities and requirements for SEM students;
- Assist students with adding, dropping and/or withdrawing from courses;
- Provide students with referrals and direct connections to academic support such as tutoring;
- Ensure students are aware of and connected to the Coordinator of STEM Starter Academy;
- Serve as a liaison to the SEM Division and Coordinator of STEM Starter Academy, meeting with each as needed;
- Attend monthly STEM Starter Academy meetings;
- Utilize Colleague programs and other software
- Master's degree in Education, Counseling, Psychology or a closely related field; with two (2) years of experience and/or training involving college admissions, academic advisement, career development, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Proficiency in student information systems and technology as well as MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Excellent, demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to work with a diverse faculty, staff and student population.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of cultural competency.
- Able to communicate effectively to different audiences.
- Ability to work Fridays 9am-11am
- Ability to work Saturdays during peak registration periods.
- Experience using live chat software.
- Experience working in a community college.
- Written and spoken proficiency in more than one language.
Salary: $30.03 hourly (18 hours per week) in accordance with the MCCC/MTA collective bargaining agreement. (non-benefited)
Review Date: To Ensure Consideration Application Materials Must Be Received By January 25, 2021.
To be considered for this position please upload the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
Please be sure to address the Required Qualifications in your documents.
If you need assistance applying through this website please contact our online Help Desk HERE