PG190667EPInternal Recruitment :
Assistant ProfessorAnticipated Hiring Range:
$70,000- $72,000Work Schedule:
Raleigh, NCAbout the Department:
The Department of Graphic Design and Industrial Design within the College of Design provides teaching, research, and scholarship within the discipline of Graphic Design and Industrial Design.
The College of Design offers comprehensive undergraduate and graduate study in architecture, art + design, graphic and industrial design, and graduate studies in landscape architecture, through several degree programs, including the Ph.D. in Design and Doctor of Design. The College employs a selective admissions process that ensures a highly motivated and diverse design community. As a result, entering design students consistently rank at the top of academic achievement at the University, and their graduate rate is the highest at NC State University.Essential Job Duties:
The ideal candidate is a user experience design or interaction design specialist with professional experience and teaching experience who is proficient in industry-standard software for both prototyping and production in: Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Web Design, User Experience Design, User Interface Design, and Mobile Device Application Design. The successful candidate will teach and advise students in the Graphic Design Program, from introductory to graduate level courses. Faculty are expected to maintain current knowledge and skills related to their field. Additional responsibilities include curriculum development, participating in recruitment efforts, and engaging in service to the program, college, university, community, and profession.
• Teaching UXD & IxD courses in the Graphic Design Program.
• Developing programmatic curriculum with special emphasis on the undergraduate graphic design program.
• Participate in MGD/PhD graduate reviews and committees.
• Maintain an active and significant research record.
• Advising, committee work, and other professional and university service.
• Ability and interest to teach graphic design-related content in the foundations curriculum.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Experience and Education:
A terminal degree (MGD/MDes/MFA or PhD) in Graphic Design, Experience Design, Visual Communication, or equivalent field of study from an accredited (recognized equivalent) university completed by June 30, 2021. Appointment at the rank of Associate Professor requires an established record of teaching, scholarship, and/or creative endeavors.Other Required Qualifications:
• One–two years of professional design experience.
• Knowledge of UXD/IxD workflows and research methods; coding a plus
• Conversant with emerging technologies.
• Grounded in contemporary design concepts, principles, practices, methods and tools across a range of media.
• Able to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, creative, and scholarly activities, teaching, advising and service.
• Expert knowledge of emerging technologies.
• Expert skills in UXD/IxD workflows and methods of production, including coding.
• Two years of teaching experience in Graphic Design, or related field, at the university level (this may include teaching assistantships).
• Effective as a mentor and advisor of students.
• Record of active participation in professional organizations.
• Able to collaborate in curricular development that integrates current practices from design industries with a cross-disciplinary approach.
• Skilled as a cross-disciplinary collaborator who can advance and advocate for design across campus.
• Strong advocate for a diverse and inclusive academic community.
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
10/23/2020Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until FilledSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants are required to submit a letter of intent describing qualifications and interests along with resume/cv and digital portfolio or portfolio link via online application. Note that digital portfolios and research publications may be submitted as “Other Documents.” Do not submit these materials via email. Inquiries and nominations can be emailed to Helen Armstrong at [email protected]Position Number:
Tenured/Tenure-Track FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
9 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
120301 - Graphic & Industrial DesignAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.