Senior Project Manager
The Senior Project Manager (SPM) is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, implementation, execution, control, and completion of specific projects ensuring consistency with organizational strategy, commitments, and goals. This includes acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party resources in order to deliver projects according to plan. The SPM is also responsible for defining the project objectives and overseeing quality control throughout the project life cycle. The SPM is expected to frequently engage with end user(s), PPPL, and DOE stakeholders to ensure timely and accurate awareness of project status and performance. Key project attributes leading to possible career progression for the SPM include: project complexity, risk, team size, business volume, contract type, and political/client/business sensitivities. The SPM manages the full life cycle of assigned projects and assures that these projects are completed in accordance with PPPL and DOE policies, programs and procedures. This Position reports, functionally, to the Project Management Office and is matrix-ed to Projects as needed across the Lab.
Senior Project Manager
Job ID: 2020-11647
# of Openings: 1
Category: Project Management
The Princeton University Plasma Physics Laboratory, a world-leading fusion energy research center under contract with the U. S. Department of Energy (DOE), invites applications for a Senior Project Manager with expertise in the field of Micro-Electronics.
In conjunction with the Project Director (if applicable), collaborates with PPPL and customer stakeholders and defines project objectives, requirements and key performance parameters.
- Achieves project requirements including DOE Notable Outcomes, milestones, performance and technical requirements, and key performance parameters.
- Identifies PPPL staff and other resource requirements and takes action to secure their timely acquisition in concert with project needs.
- Engages PPPL stakeholders and subject matter experts to identify hazards, potential environmental impacts and coordinates the development of plans and controls for their mitigation throughout the project life cycle.
- Communicates requirements to members of the project team and holds the team accountable for performance.
- Provides project direction, oversight and feedback to assigned project staff.
- Oversees all aspects of project execution including safety, risk, scope, cost schedule, and quality.
- Identifies project issues and adverse trends and implements timely and effective recovery plan(s), when needed.
- Issues timely and accurate project reports and communicates project performance to PPPL and DOE stakeholders.
- Oversees project closeout including turnover to end user/operations and disposition of documents and records.
- Conducts critiques and documents lessons learned that can be applied to future PPPL projects.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent (Major Engineering, Architecture, or Project Management)
- Advanced Degree is desirable
- 15 years of relevant past experience managing complex projects with a focus on environmentally controlled Laboratories, especially in the field of microelectronics.
- Demonstrated history of working with scientists and engineers to develop complex research facilities including cleanrooms and those specializing in microelectronics.
- Demonstrated familiarity product safety standards such as Semiconductor Equipment and Materials International (SEMI) standards, ASME, etc.
- Strong leadership skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with risk management and analysis
- Demonstrated team building skills, including the ability to work effectively with peers, other organizations, project sponsors and stakeholders and suppliers
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated ability to make timely, risk informed decisions.
- Considerable knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite with extensive and demonstrable experience in advanced Excel functions, and schedule building using Microsoft Project (or similar).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge and experience in working under DOE Order 413.B, and with DOE project management system requirements and practices
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification desired
- Job requirements will be fulfilled from PPPL site. Occasional teleworking may be approved as needed.