Microcomputer / Virtualization Support Specialist (Full-Time)
Department:: Information Technology
Locations:: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posted:: Jan 13, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Position ID:: 127515
About Dutchess Community College:
Located in the heart of New York's beautiful and historic mid-Hudson Valley, just 90 minutes north of New York City, DCC is part of the State University of New York, the largest comprehensive public higher education system in the country. A winner of the 2015 HEED Award for inclusiveness, DCC is dedicated to respecting individuality, embracing diversity and partnering with the community to achieve shared goals. The College welcomes applications from faculty and staff who share and are anxious to support the institution's values of Excellence, Access, Diversity, Collaboration and Accountability, and who are passionate about engaging with both students and the community.
This is a highly technical position responsible for the planning, development, installation and full support of microcomputer systems and virtual desktop environment. The incumbent works with user departments to assess needs, then develops a system to best meet those needs. The incumbent procures the necessary hardware and software, performs the initial configuration and installation, then supports the user through training and problem solving. Depending on the user, the incumbent may be required to work on a wide variety of systems, perform programming tasks, and install and maintain network systems. The work is performed under the general supervision of higher-level administrative staff, with considerable leeway for solving problems in the field. Supervision of others is not a normal function of the position. Work may be performed outside of normal work hours to avoid the interruption of client computer usage.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
The following is indicative of the level and types of activities performed by incumbents in this title. It is not meant to be all inclusive and does not preclude a supervisor from assigning activities not listed which could reasonably be expected to be performed by an employee in this title.
- Maintains and deploys all aspects of virtual desktop infrastructure;
- Works with user agencies to ascertain needs and develop standalone & networked systems to best address their needs;
- Orders, receives, inventories and performs initial configuration and installation of hardware and operating software, contacting vendors as necessary to resolve any problems;
- Maintains systems through software upgrades, the detection of viruses, correcting file error problems on disks, replacing defective equipment, and having equipment serviced;
- Provides telephone and field support to users on hardware and peripheral equipment, software, and network system problems, contacting vendors as necessary;
- Develops and provides training for users on hardware, software, network, and virtual systems;
- Works with user departments to develop software applications to meet their needs including programming, macros, interfaces and scripts;
- Keeps abreast of the field of microcomputer system products, tests new software and equipment, and makes recommendations for future development and use.
Knowledge of microcomputer hardware components and systems sufficient to efficiently set up, update and troubleshoot a wide variety of standalone and networked units;
Knowledge of desktop and application visualization;
Knowledge of mainstream microcomputer software programs sufficient to install, demonstrate use of, and provide technical assistance to users;
Ability to diagnose software and hardware conflicts and problems and efficiently implement repairs or other resolutions;
Ability to quickly evaluate and learn the operation of new software, hardware and peripherals; Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
Ability to develop instructional materials and conduct in-service training courses; Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
Personal characteristics necessary to perform the duties of the position; Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
EITHER: (A) Associate's degree in computer science, information technology, information systems or a closely related field AND three (3) years of work experience which primarily involved the installation and full support of microcomputer and LAN systems;
OR: (B) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and five (5) years of full-time work experience as described in (A);
OR: (C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as indicated in (A) and (B) above.
Candidates must be able to transport and install equipment weighing approximately 45 pounds at a variety of locations.
An appointing authority may require eligibility for a New York State Driver License at time of application, and possession of said license at time of appointment.
***This is a Civil Service position and it is subject to a Collective Bargaining Agreement with CSEA***
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter.
Dutchess Community College is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.