PHLEBOTOMIST (UT Health RGV Diagnostic Laboratory)
PHLEBOTOMIST (UT Health RGV Diagnostic Laboratory)
Posting Number: SRGV4849
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Weslaco, Texas
Department: School of Medicine / Clinical Affairs
Scope of Job:
To provide skillful venipuncture or other blood drawing methods and other laboratory procedures as ordered by a provider and to obtain the proper specimen for ordered laboratory testing in an outpatient clinical setting and to properly prepare that specimen for the performance of Point of Service (POS) labs or send out.
Description of Duties:
• Performs skillful phlebotomy and laboratory procedures in a timely manner following medical practice protocols related to safety, infection control, and confidentiality.
• Prepares obtained laboratory specimen for proper method of transport to specified laboratory. Researches specimen preparation if needed to ensure proper preparation for safe and correct transport.
• Verifies provider order and greets the patient correctly with good communication skills. Identifies patients according to clinic protocol prior to specimen collection. Enters data of patient demographics and lab order instructions after confirmation of correct laboratory testing with appropriate laboratory testing codes for all laboratory requisitions.
• Labels patient specimens and all paperwork accurately and distributes/or processes specimen for transport to the appropriate lab as specific insuring sponsor may request a specific lab.
• Performs all Point of Service Labs as ordered by a provider and enters results into the Electronic Medical Record accurately. Responsible for knowledge of amount of specimen needed and provider approval for amount of blood to be obtained.
• Responsible for all laboratory related inventory. Ensures that all laboratory supplies are adequately ordered, available, stocked and all expiration dates verified on regular basis ensuring that no expired supplies are on hand and utilized.
• Responsible for clean and sterile laboratory area at all times and follows Bloodborne Pathogen correct procedures. Reports any issues to the Office Manager immediately.
• Ensures the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments license is kept current.
• Remains knowledgeable of all policies, procedures and protocols.
• Performs all testing in compliance with safety guidelines and protocols, policies and procedures.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Special supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
High School diploma or equivalent.
Prefer education in phlebotomy and course in phlebotomy from an accredited educational facility.
Preferred: Phlebotomy certification
One (1) years of phlebotomy experience or a phlebotomy certification.
Experience in laboratory obtaining laboratory specimens for all ages.
Standard blood sample collection equipment. Utilization of the electronic medical record for all reporting and order verification and documentation. Use of standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required. Exposure to communicable diseases, sharp instruments, bodily fluids, and cleaning chemicals. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. May have exposure to hazardous chemicals and odors.
• Phlebotomy skills for blood draws both peripheral and venous.
• Knowledge of verification of patient identity with absolute consistency.
• Knowledge of bloodborne pathogens and proper phlebotomy techniques.
• Knowledge of specimen processing and proper preparation for transport.
• Knowledge of sources to obtain proper specimen preparation for all testing, including specialized.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 01/19/2021
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
*Social Security Number
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956)665-8880 and/or [email protected]
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/27137
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency