Advancing Health Together"In the world of health, potential life-altering breakthroughs in biomedical science, education, technology, and health care are occurring at a dizzying pace. This is a time when unimaginable possibilities beckon from beyond recognizable opportunities. Duke Health stands enviably positioned to take advantage of these opportunities and pursue these possibilities. With Advancing Health Together: 2016-2020 Strategic Planning Framework, we at Duke Health share our vision of how we will seize this moment."
- A. Eugene Washington, MD, Chancellor for Health Affairs, President & CEO, Duke University Health System
As Dr. Washington points out, strategic planning is of utmost importance during this exciting time of dynamic shifts in the healthcare landscape. The Strategic Planning Department of Duke Health exists to guide and influence Duke Health’s strategic direction.
Duke University Health System Job Description:TITLE: Progra Title: Program Manager REPORTS TO: Director, Strategic Initiatives & Business Planningvncnjbdfkjbg ACCOUNTABLE TO: Associate Vice President, Strategic Planning and Business Development
PURPOSE: To support the evergreen strategic planning process and the implementation of strategic initiatives across the enterprise. Primary duties will include project management, developing business/operational plans, performing complex analyses and visualizations to inform business decisions, continuously communicating with stakeholders (including senior leadership) and coordinating with departmental leadership to prioritize and execute on deliverables.
This position carries significant responsibilities in supporting the evergreen strategic planning process and implementing strategic initiatives across the enterprise.
Project Management / Project Planning (30%)
- In collaboration with the AVP of Strategic Planning and Director of Strategic Initiatives, develop an overarching tool to manage strategic initiatives across the enterprise. Within that tool, develop and maintain portfolio of project plans, which should identify decision points, deliverables, timelines, and stakeholders for the implementation of strategic initiatives.
- Maintain close relationships with key stakeholders across the enterprise to maintain updated project plans and ensure appropriate awareness of responsibilities and interdependent work streams.
- Develop and communicate progress reports to department and system leadership, as needed.
- Complete key deliverables (e.g. business/operational plans, analyses, and other supporting activities) as needed to propel projects forward.
- Organize and participate in meetings with stakeholders to move projects and initiatives forward.
- Receive and track strategy, business plan, and other related ad-hoc requests. Clarify with clients as needed.
Strategic and Business Planning (20%)
- Develop polished operational and/or business plans to support the implementation of strategic initiatives. Conduct complex analyses and develop insights to support planning processes. Analyses will include the integration of data from multiple sources, including, but not limited to: internal financial data, clinical data, facility planning information, market data, etc. Act as primary support to Duke Health entities in identifying, accessing, and analyzing relevant data sources necessary to develop strategic plans and business cases.Participate in planning meetings to assist in the development of Duke Health strategic plans and business cases.Prospectively monitor local, regional, and national trends that might impact strategic initiatives. Appropriately manage repository of historical plans, data pulls, and deliverables.Keep manager apprised of progress and status of all projects. Consistently meet deadlines.
- Support the ongoing implementation of the evergreen strategic planning process and other strategic initiatives.
- Meet regularly with the Director and other team key stakeholders to discuss progress, priorities, and barriers to success.
- Collaborate with other Corporate Services to support organizational initiatives, including working with Hospital and Corporate Finance, Performance Services, DHTS, Marketing, and others.
- Collect (either directly or through collaboration with colleagues) and analyze relevant financial, clinical and market data necessary to support operational plans, business plans, and other efforts. This will include working with constituents across the organization, including but not limited to hospital leadership, service line leadership, Marketing, Finance, Performance Services, and payer-related departments.
- Visually represent analyses and intelligence using Excel graphics, PowerPoint presentations, and maps (e.g. MapInfo, MapPoint, ArcGIS).
- Develop documentation (e.g. presentations, memos, business plans, etc.) to clearly and concisely communicate data analysis to parties internal and external to Duke.
- Verbally (in person and via video conference) present findings to stakeholder groups, as appropriate.
- Build and update forecasting and modeling tools to predict future volume trends to inform business development, facility, technology, and CON planning.
- Keep manager apprised of progress and status of all projects.
- Collaborate and communicate with other members of the department to ensure completion of projects and robust on-the-job training.
- Assist Duke Health entities and staff in completing ad-hoc requests to deliver specific insights in a clear, concise, and polished manner.
- Support the Certificate of Need process, as needed.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business or healthcare field (Master’s degree strongly preferred).
Experience: At least five years of relevant work experience OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Relevant experience comprises experience in fields such as strategic planning, business development, marketing, operations management, and/or financial analysis in the healthcare field (hospital/provider, payer, or other healthcare organization).
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:Excellent verbal, written, and analytical skillsExceptional attention to detail; ability to produce polished deliverablesAbility to communicate effectively with stakeholders to achieve results in a large, complex organization Ability to appropriately read data and communicate meaningful insightsAbility to work in a team-oriented environmentAbility to handle a variety of projects and tasks simultaneously, to balance competing priorities in a fast-paced environment, and to deliver on set deadlinesProactive and self-motivatedAbility to perform with minimal supervision Intellectually curious Licensure, Training, and Policies
- Must maintain compliance with all mandatory DUHS policies, training, and health/safety requirements
Required Qualifications at this Level
Education: Bachelor's degree in a business or healthcare field required (Master's degree very strongly preferred).
Experience: Five years of experience in fields such as hospital/provider strategic planning, business planning, marketing planning, operations planning, market research, and quantitative/financial analysis. A Master's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Health Administration, or Public Policy may be substituted for two years of experience.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification: N/A
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must be able to achieve results in a large, complex organization. Highly developed verbal, written, and analytical skills are necessary. Group facilitation and presentation skills. Must be able to manage multiple projects and processes simultaneously. Self-motivation and the ability to perform with minimal supervision.
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level N/A
Job Code: 00005595 PLANNING MANAGER
Job Level: H2
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, genderexpression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.