Assistant Professor of Acting
The Department of Theatre in the College of Communication, Architecture + The Arts, at Florida International University invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Acting starting in the Fall of 2021. This is a full-time, 9-month, tenure-earning faculty position. The typical teaching load is 6-9 units per semester. There is a course reduction in the first three years to establish an active program of research and/or creative activity towards tenure and promotion. The successful candidate will teach all levels of acting (for BA/BFA majors and non-majors), participate in department/university service, on/off site recruitment, maintain an active creative and/or scholarly agenda, direct one production per academic year, have the opportunity to serve as future Head of Performance, mentor performance majors, coach students for KCATF/auditions and advise student productions/projects. Other teaching responsibilities may include courses based upon the applicant's expertise in other areas such as Voice/Speech, Movement, Musical Theatre, and other Contemporary performance approaches. Experience in Black, Latinx, Indigenous, or Asian theatre/performance is highly desirable.
- MFA or PhD in Theatre is required by the time of appointment.
- Professional experience as an actor and ability to successfully direct productions.
- Experience or desire to work with students, staff, and faculty from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Florida International University is one of the most diverse Public Universities in the U.S. Ninety percent of our undergraduate students are diverse and twenty-five percent are the first members of their families to attend college.
- A background in acting and knowledge of contemporary performance training techniques for the 21st-century actor and the ability to teach in a secondary area. A strong understanding of culturally responsive and trauma-informed pedagogy.
- One to two years of applicable university, conservatory and/or professional studio teaching.
- A willingness to collaborate with a team of faculty with varied approaches, and a proven ability to teach beginning and advanced acting courses.
Location of position:
Miami, FL (Florida International University)
Applications should be sent to:
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply to Job Opening ID 522683 at facultycareers.fiu.edu.
A single pdf file should include the following: A Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, Acting Teaching Philosophy, Diversity Statement, Evidence / Portfolio of Creative/ Scholarly Accomplishment and contact information of three references. Letters of reference will only be requested from finalist candidates.
We are dedicated to nurturing the voices representing the diverse make-up of Miami, applicants from all underrepresented groups are strongly urged to apply. For questions, please contact Professor Lesley-Ann Timlick, Search Committee Chair, at [email protected].
Priority will be given to applications and materials received by February 1, 2021. The review will continue until the position is filled.