Plant Food Processing Extension Associate
PG190732EPInternal Recruitment :
Plant Food Processing Extension AssociateAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with Education and Experience ($52,000 - $55,000)Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday / 8am - 5pm (additional hours as needed)Job Location:
Kannapolis, NCDepartment :
Food, Bioprocessing and Nutrition SciencesAbout the Department:
The Department of Food, Bioprocessing and Nutrition Sciences (FBNS) is a team of scientists, researchers, and teachers committed to guiding the undergraduate and graduate education or students preparing for professional and technical careers in Food, Bioprocessing, and Nutrition Sciences. As a department, FBNS identifies, develops, and applies the appropriate concepts, theories. and emerging methodologies from the fundamental disciplines of chemistry, engineering, microbiology, food and bioprocessing. nutrition, and sensory science, to the investigation of critical issues in food & biological systems, components, products, and processes.Essential Job Duties:
The Department of Food, Bioprocessing & Nutrition Sciences, in conjunction with the NC Food Innovation Lab, and Plants for Human Health Institute at NC State University seeks an Extension Associate to work in the plant food processing program of Dr. Marvin L Moncada. The selected applicant will work on plant-based ingredient technology research and extension activities and will assist with set up of small scale operations; design/sourcing equipment; developing/validating novel processes; improving product quality; technical services and training on product, process, and compliance issues.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Engage in FSMA related training such as Food Safety Preventive Control Alliance Preventive Controls Training and Foreign Supplier Verification Programs, Plant-Based Ingredient Technology, Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMPs), Better Process Control School, Value-Added Food Product Development, and Extrusion Processing.
- Assist the value added producers in their product and process development.
- Assist the food processors of all types and sizes in the State of North Carolina.
- Assist in food processing extension and outreach programs.
- Develop educational tools and materials related to plant-based food processing.
- Conduct research focused on plant-based ingredient technology.
- Develop scholarly activity at scientific conference and publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Develop effective working relationships with coalitions and networks in the field.
- Manage activities include experimental design; co-ordination and supervision of graduate students performing experiments; data analysis and interpretation; preparation of oral and written products, including protocols, manuscripts, and presentations.
Position located in Kannapolis, NC.
The position is available immediately for one year and may be renewed for up to one additional year based on the candidate’s performance and availability of funding.Other Responsibilities:
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Experience and Education:
- Master Degree in food science, food engineering, chemical engineering, or relevant field, with a minimum of 3 years of experience.
- Demonstrated experience in food processing systems, and ingredients technology.
- A strong and proven record of scientific accomplishment by peer-reviewed publications is a must for this position.
- Effective human relations skills are required to work with a variety of clientele and professional groups.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in written form with a variety of audiences.
- PhD in food science, food engineering, chemical engineering, or relevant field.
- Experience with food engineering.
NAValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
12/23/2020Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicant required documents: Cover Letter, CV, Contact Information for ReferencesPosition Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Medical EmergenciesIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
111101 - Food,Bioprocess & Nutrition ScAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.