Maintenance Mechanic-IVAnticipated Hiring Range:
$42,000- $45,000Work Schedule:
7:00 am - 4:00 pm, Monday - FridayJob Location:
Bldg & Oper-CentennialAbout the Department:
As the largest department within the Facilities Division, Facilities Operations services the University’s 10 million square feet of teaching, research and administrative space and 2,440 acres of Ground and Transportation infrastructure. Using 803 budgeted positions and an annual budget of $57,000,000; Facilities Operations provides maintenance, custodial, landscape, solid waste removal, utility, mail, and motor pool services for most of the University.Essential Job Duties:
- This is a highly skilled worker with proficiency in the maintenance, repair and operation of heating, cooling, steam/hot water boilers and boiler auxiliary equipment (generally falling under the heading of (HVAC), electrical, plumbing and general building maintenance within the maintenance service zone.
- This position will maintain, repair, and install plumbing systems and associated equipment/fixtures; i.e., cut thread, assemble and install pipe; connect valves, caulk joints, test jobs; install gas, water and sanitary fixtures/equipment with their supports, hangers and foundations.
- This position position will work up to 600 (vac) in the construction, installation, maintenance and repair of secondary electrical systems, equipment and fixtures; i.e., conduit wire, electrical panels, breakers, switch gear, magnetic starters disconnects, motors, light fixtures, ballast, switches, receptacles control system faults and correct; repair/adjust; replace temperature controls, regulators, humidity controllers and sensors; repair/adjust/replace pneumatic control valves and regulators; preventative maintenance on refrigeration/air conditioning equipment per manufacturer’s instructions.
- This position will also diagnose/troubleshoot/repair boilers, fan turbines, pumps, condensate receivers, steam lines, expansion joints, strainers, pressure reducing stations; piping, insulation, air compressors, water softeners and other equipment for generating/controlling steam which requires pipe fitting and other skills.
Additional duties as assigned.Minimum Experience/Education:
High school diploma or equivalency; or demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work. Some positions may require special licenses or certification(s).
Optional Guidelines: Experience in the trade(s) areas related to the area of assignment may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.Other Required Qualifications:
- Demonstrate through work, a depth of knowledge and skills for pneumatic controls, as well as DDC type of controls.
- Must be able to communicate effectively verbally with supervisors and the general public and understand verbal and written instructions and other communications regarding work assignments and other matters.
- Diagnose/troubleshoot/repair boilers, fan turbines, pumps, condensate receivers, steam lines, expansion joints, strainers, pressure reducing stations; piping, insulation air compressors, water softeners and other equipment for generating/controlling steam which requires pipe fitting and other skills.
- Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds.
- Three to five years of preferred experience.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Vocation or Technical School Training
- Valid Driver’s License required.
YesCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
01/11/2021Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
Facility Maintenance Technician - Mechanical TradesPosition Classification Band Level:
JourneyPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200 - $66,138Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Evacuations/Natural Hazards, Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure Failure, Non Mandatory - Emergency EventTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
448001 - Bldg Maint & Oper-CentennialAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.