PG190713EPInternal Recruitment :
Proposal DeveloperAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with Education and ExperienceWork Schedule:
Monday - Friday, 8am-5pmJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Proposal Development UnitAbout the Department:
As part of the commitment of the NC State Office of Research and Innovation to developing and facilitating faculty research teams, the Proposal Development Unit provides unpaid consulting proposal developers for large-scale faculty proposal projects as resources and time permit. The PDU does not charge departments or colleges for its services, which may include:
- Consultation on proposal strategy
- Project team meeting facilitation to clarify
project goals, implementation plans, and budgets
- Management of proposal schedule and communications
- Identification of additional faculty expertise and resources
- Planning and writing non-technical portions of the proposal (e.g., diversity, K-12 outreach, management, broader impacts, international program logistics, assessment, technology transfer, and/or economic development)
- Institutional data acquisition
- Proposal drafting, editing, and formatting
- Budget/justification preparation (including coordination of subcontract budgets) and submission for college research office approval
- Assisting faculty with calculating F&A return for cost share or institutional commitment
Collection and formatting of CVs, current and pending support forms, and other information required from each participating researcher
- Drafting of letters of support/commitment for NC State and partner organization officials
- Electronic submission on PINS, Grants.gov, NSF FastLane, etc.
- Coordination of funding agency site visits and review response reports.
At the PDU, each project is assigned to a Proposal Developer who facilitates the proposal creation process for the PI and project team members. This position writes sections of proposals relating to budgets and project management, and edits other sections of proposals for content, form and style (including consistency, grammar, punctuation, and citation format), adherence to RFP requirements and the particular agency’s proposal guide, and uniformity of style and voice. This position also performs final form and content checks of ancillary documents gathered and formatted by PDU support personnel, and edits and corrects them as needed.
Specific details of responsibilities include:
- Analyzing funding announcements;
- Consulting with faculty about strategies on – programs and projects that improve their competitive research capacity to obtain external funding;
- Strategic planning and facilitation of collaborative proposal concepts for multiple investigator proposals using team science strategies
- Partnership building and team formation;
Budget development and budget justification
- Editing proposals and providing writing support for non-technical sections; providing comprehensive editorial review; advising investigators on proposal coherency, style, and organization; assisting with institutional resource template materials, and organizing and formatting proposals
- Review of proposals for compliance with sponsor requirements, federal regulations, and university policies and procedures;
- Coordination of proposal development and submission processes by working closely with the faculty investigator(s), college research offices, and other units of the RDO
- Coordination of site visit and/or other follow-up inquiries post-submission
- Contributing to communications regarding collaborative research funding opportunities and research services/resources, including development and dissemination of useful funding-related information to the NC State research community through email, publications, and website; and
- Providing guidance to investigators, collaborators, subcontractors, and others regarding proposal requirements.
- Developing and delivering seminars, workshops, and guidance materials to train faculty in grant writing.
- Assisting the Director in the identification and development of appropriate teams of faculty investigators to pursue upcoming and existing large, multidisciplinary funding opportunities.
Other duties as assignedMinimum Experience and Education:
Require post-baccalaureate credentials or a bachelor’s degree plus alternative or equivalent professional training and experience may be substituted for the advanced degree on an exceptional basis.
- Five years experience in preparing federal grant proposalsOther Required Qualifications:
- Excellent project management skills
- Ability to work in team-based environment to achieve common goals
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong proofreading abilities
- Strong budgeting skills
- Experience writing governmental proposals
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong organization skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple, complex projects
- Ability to work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Solid analytical skills
- Proficiency in MS office suite programs and internet applications
- Master’s degree
- Experience in developing and delivering training
-Familiarity with major federal agency programs and their diversity/internationalization goals
- Familiarity with NC State research strengths, diversity efforts and international programs
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
12/07/2020Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants should upload to their application the following:
1) Cover letter
3) Contact information of three professional references, including email addresses and phone numbers.
Please make sure the work history listed on your application matches the work history listed on your resume.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
060101 - Office of Research & Innovation (ORI)AA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.