X-ray Postdoctoral Researcher
140501 - Engineering ResearchDepartment:
140501 - Engineering ResearchJob City & State:
Raleigh, NCEssential Job Duties:
The Analytical Instrumentation Facility (AIF) seeks a talented and industrious experimentalist to join our team as an X-ray Postdoctoral Researcher. The AIF is NC State’s primary shared facility for materials characterization with a mission to enable and lead state-of-the-art research through acquisition, development, maintenance, training, and access to major analytical and materials characterization instrumentation.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Train internal NC State users and external academic, government, and industrial users on operation of the X-ray diffractometers and X-ray microscopes and the analysis and interpretation of data.
- Engage and develop an internal NC State user base and users who come from outside the university.
- Provide technical advice to researchers studying a variety of material classes and collaborate with researchers on analyzing, interpreting, and visualizing the data.
- Perform X-ray microscopy services and analysis of data using the Rigaku X-ray diffractometer, the PANalytical Empyrean X-ray diffractometer, the Zeiss Xradia 510, and the Bruker SkyScan 1174 instruments.
- Assist with maintenance and calibration of the Rigaku X-ray diffractometer, the PANalytical Empyrean X-ray diffractometer, the Zeiss Xradia 510, and the Bruker SkyScan 1174 instruments.
- Aid AIF staff in maintaining and updating the laboratories’ safety plans in accordance with university policies
- Process internal paperwork associated with enabling and accounting for the activities on the instruments.
- Design, schedule, and execute at least 4 workshops and/or user short courses each year that inform users of established and emerging instrument techniques and data quantification methods to improve the quality of education and research at the University.
- Keep users informed of emerging techniques, training activities, and software/data analysis programs available.
- Stay abreast of software and hardware developments by reading current literature and attending relevant technical conferences and short courses.
- Communicate the need for instrument upgrades and develop strategies and proposals for acquiring equipment upgrades or replacements.
8am - 5pmDepartment Required Skills:
N/APreferred Years Experience, Skills, Training, Education:
- Proficient in use of X-ray sources and related instruments and use of associated software tools.
- Working knowledge of applications of X-rays in one of the primary application areas of materials science, life sciences, electronics, or natural resources
- Strong writing, communication, and presentation skills on technical scientific content
N/AValid NC Driver's License required?:
NoCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoAnticipated Hiring Range:
$47,500-$60,000Job Open Date:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.