Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all position (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Provides support to end users on a variety of issues in a unique BYOD (bring-your-own-device) environment. Identifies, researches, and resolves technical problems. Responds to telephone calls, email and personnel requests for technical support. Resolves issues using language that conveys technical information to non-technical end-users. Documents, tracks and monitors the problem to ensure a timely resolution. Collaborates/escalates with IT colleagues when necessary to resolve issues.
Help Desk Support (70%)
- Performs front line user support activities and functions including hardware, software, and network troubleshooting on macOS, Windows, and Linux platforms.
- Asks probing questions to understand and diagnose source or error from end users via phone, email, in-person, etc.
- Provides training to users on technical skills in area(s) of expertise.
- Performs desktop, laptop and mobile hardware and software installation and configuration of computers in the Help Desk, at customer locations and via remote access on macOS and Windows platforms.
- Researches, procures, and deploys various computers, mobile devices and accessories.
- Configures new accounts (AD, Exchange, NPS, RSA, etc.) and provides information to key contacts.
- Manages home folders, quota sizes, and permissions on file servers.
IT Ticketing System (10%)
- Reviews and tracks support requests in IT ticketing system.
- Maintains accurate accounting of work performed and alerts manager to unusual situations or backlogs.
- Ensures user compliance with defined computing practices and guidelines.
- Maintains both internal and customer-focused technical documentation.
Administrative and Project Support (20%)
- Performs a wide range of networking administrative duties including installations, configurations, troubleshooting, maintenance, upgrades and general support for wired and wireless network equipment.
- Works on various projects with systems administrators and network engineers.
- Supports adds/moves/changes on phone system including cable pairs.
- +2 years of desktop, laptop and server equipment experience.
- +2 years of applications and macOS and Windows operating systems experience.
- +1 year of experience working at an IT Help Desk or experience providing IT support services to clients using a ticketing system.
- Experience installing computer workstations, including desktops and laptops, printers, scanners, copies, handheld devices and other equipment.
- BS or BA in computer science or a related technical field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated understanding of networked computer operating system configurations.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of network and wireless technology, TCP/IP networking concepts including configuration of workstations and printers, and peripherals, including the ability to identify and troubleshoot network connectivity problems using standard industry tools and network media.
- Ability to comprehend and retain large and complex amounts of new information.
- Working knowledge of business software especially Microsoft Office.
- Ability to identify/clarify user's problem with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, etc and the ability to research resources to assist the user.
- Excellent customer service and verbal and written communication skills appropriate for interactions with a broad array of individuals.
- Strong interpersonal skills that include tact, good judgment, diplomacy, and flexibility to relate to diverse scientific research staff, faculty, executive management, administrative staff, and external contacts.
- Ability to work as team member and team resource.
- Ability to apply knowledge, skills and Institute policies and procedures with a high level of independence to resolve issues for customers.
- Ability to appropriately document the technical issue, assign the ticket and update the ticket as needed.
- Ability to write clear, concise trouble tickets, containing key information and customer contact information.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute’s background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
This position will be constantly grasping, hearing, keying, seeing, talking, analyzing, communicating, reading, reasoning, writing and working inside.