User Engagement Specialist
Permanent Staff (SHRA)Is this an internal only recruitment?:
Training Specialist - JourneyWorking Title:
User Engagement SpecialistPosition Number:
P012160Budgeted Hiring Range:
$51,000 - 61,000Pay Band Information:
To learn more about the pay band for this branch and role, please see the Career Banding rates spreadsheet.Salary Grade Equivalent:
Full-Time PermanentHours per week:
Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm with some flexibilityDepartment Name and Number:
Renaissance Computing Inst-637100Date First Posted:
Chapel Hill, NCPosition Posting Category:
Public Relations/Communications/MarketingDepartment Description:
The Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI) is a living laboratory that creates cyberinfrastructure for the benefit of science, business and society. What makes us so renaissance? Our work isn’t just about solving known problems. It’s about unlocking human potential.
- We accelerate research. We help overcome barriers to make research faster, stronger and more creative.
- We advance the state-of-the-art. Not just in what machines can do, but what people can do with machines.
- We transcend boundaries. We foster inclusivity, promote diversity and collaborate across disciplines to enhance science, engineering, art, the humanities and commerce.
A research institute of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, RENCI links people, data and resources across the UNC system, Duke University, Research Triangle Park and the State of North Carolina.Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.Position Description:
The User Engagement Specialist will work with a multidisciplinary team of designers, developers, and project managers, among others. The team will look to this person to combine the needs of users with the complexities of a growing and interconnected ecosystem in order to educate users on effectively utilizing the ecosystem for their research. The person hired for this position will primarily work with the BioData Catalyst Coordinating Center team, a group that is dedicated to the management of a consortium building a cloud-based ecosystem providing tools, applications, and workflows that enable researchers to find, access, share, store, and compute on large scale datasets in secure workspaces. This position is critical to the successful expansion of the user base for this complex data science research ecosystem.
This position’s primary responsibilities include:
1. Develop and analyze a variety of training activities such as presentations, tutorials, documentation, videos, and short courses to support the education of users working in the BioData Catalyst ecosystem.
- Support regular content development and release.
- Actively review, contribute to, and monitor roadmaps to ensure timely engagement, planning, and execution for training offerings.
- Write and disseminate key messages, talking points, FAQs, process and procedure documents, etc. and create training template libraries with the end-user in mind.
- Develop and analyze processes to support user needs and directly support user needs via help desk, email, Slack, etc.
- Using feedback directly from users and stakeholders, identify usability problems and propose solutions.
- Develop enhancements that support user experience and engagement.
- Create systems for providing excellent customer service with a user-centered focus.
- Develop, implement, and analyze customer surveys and metrics.
- Review performance of the training portfolio for quality, accuracy, and relevancy.
- Aggregate and provide continuous improvement feedback to content contributors based on training materials feedback outcomes.
- Solicit user feedback via informal and formal methods. Communicate user feedback data via ecosystem-wide reporting systems.
2. Develop and analyze research community outreach initiatives
- Support ecosystem-wide marketing and programming in collaborations with key colleagues and stakeholders.
- Promote usage and awareness of the ecosystem.
- Understand new functionalities and promote to the user community.
3. Provide key stakeholders with data-driven recommendations for adapting to changing user situations, needs, or requirements
- Provide influence, direction, and guidance to ensure the development and release of high quality training offerings.
- Recommend alternative approaches that reduce time to production while continuing to provide an engaging experience for the learner.
- Manage ambiguous projects, identify and solve blocking issues, and know when to escalate to keep the project moving forward.
Bachelor’s degree; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Must thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, have a passion for education, and be consultative.
- Background or knowledge in learning design, training/education, curriculum development and/or instructional design, including development of courses released on online learning platforms.
- Must have technology acumen, preferably experience in training or support roles, but minimally an understanding of cloud technologies and distributed computing; an understanding of data ingest, data management, and data analysis; and the ability to relate to IT role functions.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively to both lay and technical audiences about the functionality and technical specifications of a technical product (via email, web content and videos, presentations, and other written and visual materials).
- Exceptional writing, grammar, punctuation, editing and proofreading skills. Writing is a primary responsibility for this position.
- Demonstrated experience with attention to detail, meticulous record-keeping, and ability to manage shifting priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed, set priorities appropriately, and organize workload effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally with multiple teams and stakeholders.
- Excellent customer or community engagement skills.
- Applied knowledge of community outreach techniques.
- Knowledgebase and/or CRM management experience.
- Experience with content creation, user experience design, SEO/keywords and HTML.
- Knowledge of user-centered service principles, consumer behavior, and interactions.
- Relevant post-Baccalaureate degree in education, communications, computer science, or a similar discipline; or relevant undergraduate degree and 3 or more years of relevant experience.
- Candidate should be able to demonstrate expertise in the required areas via portfolios or previous work product.