Director, Center for Innovation and Sustainability in Local Media (CISLM)
Permanent Staff (EHRA NF)Department:
School of Journalism and Media-350100Working Title:
Director, Center for Innovation and Sustainability in Local Media (CISLM)Appointment Type:
EHRA Non-FacultyPosition Posting Category:
Research ProfessionalsSalary Range:
$64,500 - $103,000Full Time/Part Time?:
Full-Time PermanentHours per Week:
20011740Posting Open Date:
01/25/2021Open Until Filled:
NoProposed Start Date:
The Center for Innovation and Sustainability in Local Media (CISLM) invites applications for a Center Director. CISLM supports established and emerging local news organizations through applied research on economic sustainability and entrepreneurship as well as innovative news and digital product solutions. The Center is funded by grants from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and UNC’s Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost. For additional information please visit https://www.cislm.org/.
The Center Director oversees staff and programs in the delivery of scholarship and research to public audiences and clients that address CISLM-related issues. The Director’s duties are integral to and uniquely supportive of the educational, research and public-service activities of the Center. The Director evaluates the effectiveness of such activities and has significant and independent interaction with participants in the Center’s programs.
The Director is responsible for the strategic success of the Center. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Managing and maintaining momentum around multiple concurrent research, experiential and public-service projects;
- Attracting and building new programs that extend and broaden the Center’s impact;
- Developing and implementing the communications dissemination strategy for the Center;
- Overseeing Center operations, including financial and personnel resources;
- Leading Center outreach and fundraising activities.
Relevant post-Baccalaureate degree required; for candidates demonstrating comparable background in media management or related field, will accept a relevant undergraduate degree and three or more years of relevant experience in substitution.Qualifications and Experience:
The ideal candidate will bring the following knowledge, skills and abilities to the position:
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead the educational, research and public-service mission of the Center;
- A background in media management and appreciation for the disruption occurring in the industry today;
- A style that is strategic, results-oriented and pragmatic;
- The ability to work effectively in an academic environment in which collaborative, inclusive decision-making is expected;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and demonstrated organizational ability;
- Experience with and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives related to newsroom and media organizations.
Familiarity with website management, social media strategies and Microsoft Office tools preferred.Equal Opportunity Employer :
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.Special Instructions:
Please apply at https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/187139 and upload the following documents: CV / resume; cover letter; and the names and contact information of at least three professional references.