Media Specialist (Public Affairs & Communications - Medicine)
Job Title: Media Specialist (Public Affairs & Communications - Medicine)
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 48329
Department Division of Public Affairs & Communications – College of MedicineEqual Employment Opportunity An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdfResponsibilities Serves as associate editor of the College of Medicine's biannual magazine, FSU MED and annual report. Edits and assists with the college’s quarterly electronic newsletter, EMR. Provides writing and editing assistance for a variety of materials vital to the successful functioning of the College of Medicine as a whole, to include proofreading of items to be seen and read by external and internal audiences. Assists in the production of a variety of COM special brochures, fliers and other correspondence.
Arranges photography for magazine feature articles, EMR and special events, which may include graduation, the student white coat ceremony, alumni reunions and related activities. Travels as needed to report stories and lead photographic assignments at regional campus locations. Assists in ensuring accuracy in publicly viewed documents, including photographic documents such as the senior class composite and related materials. Assists in ensuring adequate stock of up-to-date photography for use in all College of Medicine marketing and promotional activities.
Produces content for the COM website and manages content in the posting of and deleting of stories as appropriate. Provides editing expertise for faculty and student profiles that appear on the website. Provides editing expertise for a variety of publications both printed and electronically distributed by regional campuses. Produces press releases, assists media with story ideas and encourages regional campus publicity through work with media and with COM personnel outside the main campus. Serves as a medical school historian, handling internal requests for information, photographs, advice, wording, etc.Qualifications Bachelor's degree and two years of experience; or a high school diploma/equivalent and experience equal to six years. (Note: post-high school education can substitute for experience at the equivalent rate.)
• Experience communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
• Experience conveying technical information to technical and non-technical users.
• Experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
• Knowledge of planning, implementing, and directing photography, graphics, and audio/visual associated operations.
• Experience with applicable computer software programs, such as Microsoft Word and Outlook.
Valid Florida or Georgia Driver's License, or the ability to obtain prior to hire.Preferred Bachelor's degree and two years of experience. The ideal candidate for this position is someone who loves to write, is productive and able to meet deadlines, and who understands why it’s important to write with accuracy and attention to detail. Additionally, the following competencies are preferred:
• Knowledge of current media technology and trends (how news is shared among traditional and non-traditional media, including social media).
• Knowledge of public relations practices.
• Ability to write and/or proofread and edit written word and/or information in various formats.
• Experience in Content Management system.
• Experience in public speaking.
• Knowledge of graphic layout techniques and art in a digital format.
• Experience in analyzing and determining the most appropriate media for creation of graphic images.
• Ability to develop and implement policies, procedures, goals, and objectives.
• Knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply related federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations.
• Knowledge of and the ability to interpret and apply related University policies, procedures, principles, and practices.
• Ability to prioritize, organize, and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously.
• Ability to represent the University in appointed area as required.Helpful Writing samples are not required with the application, but are helpful to include.Pay Plan This is an A&P (Administrative and Professional) position.Schedule If not otherwise specified, schedule is M-F, 8-5.Criminal Background Check This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.How To Apply If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.Tobacco Free Campus Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.