Graduate Student Assistant
UNT System Overview:
Welcome to the University of North Texas System, or UNT World as we like to call ourselves. UNT World includes the University of North Texas in Denton, the University of North Texas at Dallas and the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth. We are the only university system based exclusively in the robust Dallas-Fort Worth region and we are committed to transforming lives and creating economic opportunity through education. Over the past decade, combined UNTS enrollment has grown by more than 25 percent to nearly 44,000 students.Posting Title:
Graduate Student AssistantDepartment:
DAL-Dean of Students-520000Job Location:
DallasFull Time/Part Time:
The mission of Student Affairs: With a student-centered focus on education, StudentAffairs creates innovative transformative learning opportunities, activities, and programs that prepare students to thrive personally and professionally as engaged members of a global society. Our vision is to provide
UNT Dallas Students with co-curricular engagement and development opportunities that appeal to an inter generational and diverse population to enhance student learning outside the classroom.
To find out more about the Office of Student Affairs, visit our web page at: https://sa.untdallas.edu/dean-studentsPosition Summary:
The Student Engagement Graduate Student Assistant position prepares students for a wide range of career opportunities in higher education. This position provides students with an opportunity to develop first-hand knowledge of the student affairs profession and gain hands on experience in many areas within the Office of Student Affairs at UNT Dallas.
Furthermore, the position will afford students the opportunity to analyze the functions of various administrative departments, their relationships to one another and to the in order to understand contemporary societal issues and their impact from an institutional perspective.
Working with experienced student affairs administrators, graduate assistants will work to improve the quality of life on campus, foster a safe, healthy, and respectful environment, support academic achievement and success, and promote leadership and civic engagement. Graduate assistants will also participate in campus community-wide projects and professional development opportunities and begin developing their
Statement of Duties and Responsibilities:
• Attend regularly scheduled Student Affairs Staff meetings and training sessions.
• Attend regular one-on-one meetings with supervisor.
• Cultivate and maintain good working relationships with staff, faculty and students
• Assist with New Student Orientation and Commencement
• Participate in student leadership training sessions
• Support College policies and guidelines
• Work with staff to develop extra-curricular events and services.
• Assist with the planning of all aspects of Student Organization/Greek Life
leadership training sessions and workshops
• Responsible for room reservations for student groups and other areas as needed
• Responsible for tracking room reservations from student groups
• Develop workshops and training sessions that benefit targets student groups and the
student body as a whole
• Maintain events on website for Student Affairs
• Assist in Program Proposals for programs hosted by Student Affairs
• Assist in event management of programs hosted by Student Affairs
• Responsible for the planning, application process and implementation of the JAG
• Responsible for maintaining the annual calendar for the Office of Student Affairs
• Assists in assessment efforts for student engagement
• Assists with the planning and execution of the student organization showcase each
• Lead the promotion of student life events through the use of social media channels,
print material, and other forms of appropriate communication to the campus
• Encourage and support students, student organizations, departments, and
academic programs, on events that benefit the student community and align with the
• Assist in the development of leadership resource guides and programming
• Bring creative ideas and energy to the position.
• Additional duties as assigned by the Assistant Dean of Students
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit – and takes actions to prevent – discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against
individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or
participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Currently enrolled UNT Dallas student in good standing and making satisfactory progress toward completion graduate degree program. Applicants must possess the following:
- Excellent customer service skills, as well as effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office computer applications (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to complete tasks independently.
- Proficiency to keep complex records, to assemble and organize data, and to prepare reports from such records.
- Good interpersonal skills and ease in relating to people from varying educational, cultural and social backgrounds.
- Responsible, reliable and punctual.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and coordinate work of others.
- Considerable knowledge of academic requirements and policies, or of administrative procedures relative to the area of employment.
• Three years of work experience of a progressively responsible and difficult nature.
• One year minimum experience of direct involvement on campus.
• Demonstrates commitment to university mission, goals, programs, policies and
services intended to maximize student personal growth, education and development, as well as fostering student success.
• Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and to conduct oneself in a highly
professional and ethical manner.
• Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
Scheduled work hours within the 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM timeframe, Monday – Friday, with
varying evening event assistance as needed.
This is a security sensitive position.EEO Statement:
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.Physical Requirements:
Carrying, Lifting up to 10 pounds, Pulling , Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Squatting, Stooping, Bending, Standing, Twisting, Walking, Writing, Grasp, Talk or HearPosting Number:
Stu092HPSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Currently enrolled graduate-level University student at UNT Dallas making satisfactory
progress toward completion of a degree or certificate.
Please upload a copy of your class schedule or include your availability in your cover