HVAC Mechanic IV
Job no: 513079
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Facilities/Skilled Trades
Department:63550400 - FS-OPER EG B-MNT-HVAC
Advertised: 12 Jan 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 14 Jan 2021 Eastern Standard Time
HVAC Mechanic IVJob Description:
Install, operate, repair, and preventively maintain pneumatic/electric digital air conditioning (A/C) and refrigeration equipment. Service and refurbish all types of A/C and refrigeration equipment, including controls systems that are connected directly to, and operate, field devices. Troubleshoot field-connected devices (including unitary controllers, variable air volume (VAV) controllers, electronic and pneumatic thermostats, and control programs related to field devices operating HVAC equipment (such as variable frequency drives (VFD) with network computers; and shutdown/restart equipment controlled by these devices. Repair or replace valves, piping, thermostats, dampers, grills, turning vanes, motors, belts, and controls. Troubleshoot equipment following the proper control sequence of operation. Overhaul compressors, condensers, and other equipment. Recharge and recover refrigerants in refrigeration systems. Balance HVAC systems. Perform and oversee HVAC construction projects and departmental jobs utilizing blue prints and schematics.
Mentor and train lower level technicians. Begin and complete NCCER Core Curriculum (if not already completed).
Enter maintenance data via the work order system for work requests (WR) and time. Maintain EPA Refrigerant Recovery Journal. Provide support services to other trades (e.g., properly route or phase WR) as may be required for the timely and efficient repair of buildings and/or equipment.
Perform lead mechanic duties and lead all levels of HVAC mechanics on projects.
Initiate purchases of materials and parts used for repairs Clean and maintain shop, work areas, and personal equipment.
A criminal background and post offer health assessment will be conducted.
Work schedule M-F 7:30am – 4:00pm. Emergency work (as needed)
Positon considered as Essential Personnel as defined by UF PolicyAdvertised Salary:
Expected starting salary is $22.00 hr - $25.00 hr based on qualifications and experienceMinimum Requirements:
High school diploma (or equivalent); four (4) years of appropriate experience in HVAC related work; appropriate vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification:
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Universal Refrigerant Recovery certification (prior to hire)
Valid Florida Class E non-commercial driver license
Currently NCCER Certified Plus in trade or pass NCCER Knowledge Verification.
Complete NCCER Core, NCCER HVAC Performance Verification, and trade specific Critical Task Assessment within 6 months.
EXPERIENCE: 6 Years field experience
- Knowledge of the most modern and improved materials and techniques (to insure the most professional and cost effective HVAC as possible)
- Demonstrable working knowledge of blueprints and schematic drawings
- Knowledge of/familiarity with control systems
- Skilled in troubleshooting pneumatic and electric/digital devices related to refrigeration and A/C equipment
- Skilled in using normal and up-to-date equipment and materials
- Skilled in soldering refrigerant and water piping/tubing
- Skilled in recovering refrigerant
- Ability to follow established safety practices and procedures
- Demonstrable ability to recognize the proper materials/equipment needed for a specific job and make necessary changes
- Demonstrable ability to read a service request
- Ability to read work requests
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment following the proper control sequence of operationSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your resume.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (EDT) of the posting end date
Multiple vacancies will be filled from this posting.
Position is being reposted previous applicants are still under consideration.Health Assessment Required: