PSYC – Montessori Education and Outreach Director
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-01-11
Education and Outreach Directors manage a variety of people and projects which result in the creation of effective educational experiences for multiple audiences. They oversee the development, delivery, administration, and evaluation of programs targeting nontraditional or external learners, including schoolchildren, visitors, executives, continuing education students, or participants in community medical programs. They demonstrate mastery in their specialty area, normally signified by an advanced degree, or significant equivalent experience. Education and Outreach Directors are accountable for a sizable program portfolio, and develop and manage their offerings to ensure they fulfill the overall goal or vision of the organization.
The Department of Psychology is currently seeking a Montessori Education and Outreach Director for a new program devoted to Montessori Science. The Director will lay the groundwork for, set up, and oversee activities of the program, including one or more childcare centers and an MA program in Human Development for Montessori-certified teachers. The Montessori childcare centers, being established in partnership with the UVa Equity Center in lower income neighborhoods in Charlottesville, will serve the communities, contribute to science, and be model programs to assist with higher education opportunities and to educate the larger Charlottesville/UVA community about the Montessori approach to helping children's development. The MA program will provide outreach and dialogue between the Center’s research activities and the Montessori teaching community. A qualified Director will have a teaching role in this program.
The Education and Outreach Director is responsible for the following tasks:
- Perform all duties related to the activities specified above.
- Review and facilitate program proposals, champion their implementation, and make site visits to clients.
- Apply for external funding to support the Center’s activities.
- Work closely and through multiple channels in order to facilitate the creation of programs which respond to market-based regional educational needs.
- Plan, implement, direct, and grow the programs to generate revenue or participation, by strategically guiding and expanding the programs offered through multiple platforms, including online, on-Grounds, or in the community. For the childcare centers this will include seeking and implementing braided funding from federal and state programs.
- Demonstrate effective collaboration with the faculty, graduate students, and administrators which result in the development of high quality, sustainable, and targeted programs.
- Exercise responsibility and accountability for program quality, enrollments, and profitability.
- Oversee implementation of programs, academic services, and other contractual relationships with regional entities.
- Network with regional and national academic and government institutions to establish partnerships for the purpose of developing and leveraging programs and activities.
- Oversee marketing and promotional campaigns to reach revenue and enrollment targets.
- Develop and implement outreach evaluation and assessment plan by identifying educational outcome indicators, collecting data, and analyzing and communicating results and findings.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Process for External Applicants: Please apply through Workday, and search for “PSYC – Montessori Education and Outreach Director”. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and the contact information for three professional references. Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box.
Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for “PSYC – Montessori Education and Outreach Director”. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three professional references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
For questions about this position or the application process, please contact Rich Haverstrom, Faculty Search Advisor, at email@example.com.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin January 22, 202 and continue until the position is filled. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment.
For questions about the application process, please contact Rich Haverstrom, Faculty Search Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
Education: Master's degree. MA in Psychology, Education, or a closely related field with a strong emphasis on Human Development preferred. Montessori teaching credential preferred. Ph.D. preferred.
Experience: At least seven years of experience in Education and/or Child Development. Extensive (at least 5 years) experience teaching and program management in a Montessori setting preferred. Strong management and community outreach credentials preferred. Strong interdisciplinary background and evidence of team-building success in an education environment preferred.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.