Research Associate in Biology
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-01-11
The Department of Biology at the University of Virginia invites applicants for a post-doctoral Research Associate position in the lab of Professor Amanda Gibson as part of a 5-year NIH-funded project.
The big questions we’re pursuing with this project are:
- How do organisms adapt to rampant uncertainty?
- In what ways does context, both environmental and genetic, change the alleles that matter for fitness?
- To what extent do these genetic interactions confound our ability to map genotype to phenotype? (and can we overcome this?)
We use resistance to parasites as a model trait to get at these questions. The work will make use of the experimental tools and resources available for the model nematode C. elegans and its natural parasites, including experimental evolution, cryogenic preservation, high-throughput phenotyping, transgenic methods, wild isolates with whole genome sequences, and public resources for genetic mapping. You can find read more about the position and the lab at https://coevolving.org/join-us/
- A PhD in Biology or a related field by the start date
- Excellent written and oral communication, demonstrated by a strong publication record, consistent with the candidate’s career stage, and presentations at conferences
- Demonstrated ambition, creativity, independence, and ability to work well with others
- A strong background in experimental design, data analysis, and data management
- Interest and confidence in developing new techniques for hypothesis testing
- Experience in mentoring undergraduate students and a dedication to promoting underrepresented groups in STEM
- Demonstrated strengths in evolutionary genetics, host-parasite coevolution or closely allied fields
- Experience with analysis and interpretation of genomic data and design of mapping studies
The Biology Department at UVA (http://bio.as.virginia.edu/) is an excellent training environment for curious, highly motivated scientists. The successful applicant can expect to interact frequently with the department’s strong, collegial group of evolutionary ecologists and geneticists (https://www.eebvirginia.org/). In joining the lab, new members sign on to our commitment to promoting an inclusive and safe environment, supporting all the members of our team in realizing their full potential, and actively valuing the creativity and productivity that comes from the meeting of diverse minds.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Apply online at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs and attach a cover letter, curriculum vitae, 2-3 writing samples (preferably first-author publications, published or in prep), and contact information for three individuals who can provide professional reference letters. In the cover letter, please address your fit with the qualifications above and your experience in mentoring undergraduates. Applications by members of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged.
Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin on February 10, 2021. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment.
This is a one-year appointment; however, appointment may be renewed for an additional two, one-year increments, contingent upon available funding and satisfactory performance.
Interested applicants are invited to email Amanda Gibson, Assistant Professor, at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the position.
For questions about the application process, please contact Richard Haverstrom, Faculty Search Advisor, at email@example.com.
For information on the benefits available to postdoctoral associates at UVA, visit postdoc.virginia.edu and hr.virginia.edu/benefits.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.