Posting Number: SRGV4843
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Brownsville, Texas
Department: University Marketing and Communications
Scope of Job:
To develop and produce written stories and video content that help share and further the UTRGV brand of excellence, for distribution to the media, to include print, broadcast, web and social media, as well as to university students, faculty and staff; stakeholders like donors, grantors and legislators; and the community in general.
Description of Duties:
• Develops and writes stories about UTRGV and the university community that help further the UTRGV brand of excellence.
• Manages production of assigned stories (either solo or as part of a team), using a solid knowledge of AP Style while adhering to deadlines.
• Produces text videos and video stories about UTRGV and the university community that help further the UTRGV brand of excellence.
• Maintains regular contact with key sources to identify story themes and newsworthy events.
• Tailors writing styles to the platform. (ex. must write snappy short text and headlines for social media platforms; weightier news headlines and stories for distribution to print and broadcast media; and adapt headline/cutline content for university web pages and the NIC website).
• Attends training seminars or conferences annually, chosen in consultation with the director, that helps the employee expand his or her knowledge and skill sets.
• Works closely with other relevant areas in monitoring media issues (such as requests for experts, story pitches and press conferences) and story development as they relate to the university.
• Provides assistance to other departments with media support for events, to include lining up experts for media at press conferences, monitoring media attendance at such events, and providing news coverage of the event.
• May shoot still photographs from time to time.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
Bachelor’s degree in writing, communications, multimedia production from an accredited university.
Two (2) years of experience in news writing and story production using AP Style, including experience in video shooting and editing, and experience working with social media platforms such as: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
Use of standard office equipment. Technical knowledge of video and photographic equipment including video and still cameras, video editing software, associated hardware, and computers.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required. Office or studio environment as well as field work; some travel and weekend work is required. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly, to move objects.
Knowledge of video production and storytelling styles is important. Excellent writing/storytelling skills, solid knowledge of AP Style, and the ability to write quickly and able to meet deadlines. Knowledge of social media writing/headline styles and posting judgment. Knowledge of still photography shooting and editing. Knowledge of video production and storytelling styles. Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects, work independently and in collaboration with team members.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 01/15/2021
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
*Social Security Number
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/27072
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency