Woodbury University invites applications for Financial Advisor who will employ a multi-disciplinary approach to assist students who are dealing with financial issues that serve as barriers to academic success. The Financial Advisor is responsible for the development, implementation, and evaluation of a Financial Sustainability program that intervenes and ameliorates basic needs in a manner that promotes dignity and minimizes marginalization. This position will work as part of a team to create and implement a holistic, multi-faceted student support network to support students throughout their academic journey. They advance and maintain relationships with campus and community partners in an effort to provide comprehensive cohesive services, information, and programs to Woodbury students. The Financial Advisor, among other duties, meets with students, assesses needs, makes appropriate referrals, follows up with students, and tracks success. This is a high visibility position, requiring an individual to interact and communicate with various internal and external constituents in an in-person and online format, where written/verbal communication is critical. The position also requires a high degree of accountability and responsibility. Daily work involves handling information that is often sensitive and confidential in nature: therefore; discretion is essential.
This position is funded by a DOE Title V grant through the Developing Hispanic-Serving Institutions Program. The successful candidate will focus on the three new STEM programs, Sustainable Practices, Construction Management, and Environmental Science, during the five years of the grant but upon completion of the grant will work across departments in the university. The position reports to the Title V Grant Activity Director and the Associate Dean of Students. The university places a high priority on the creation of an environment supportive of the promotion of ethnic minorities, women, and persons with disabilities.
Salary and Benefits (salary information will be provided upon request)
This position qualifies for University sponsored employee benefit plans and programs (e.g., group health insurance, life insurance, tax deferred annuity plan, annual vacation, sick, and paid holidays), subject to the eligibility requirements and conditions of each plan and program.
- Work with internal and external partners to coordinate workshops pertaining to navigation of student resources, financial literacy, and accessing safety-net programs.
- Maintain updated knowledge of regulations, practices, and financial opportunities for students.
- Hire, train and supervise a team of upper-level/graduate student financial coaches to provide on-going support to students.
- Develop individualized action plans based on student financial status.
- Develop and nurture referral pipeline.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in education, counseling, finance, or a related field.
- Three years’ experience in education (preferably post-secondary).
- Experience with diverse and unrepresented students and issues relevant to ethnic minority populations.
- Ability to maintain energy, mental acuity, and calm demeanor.
- Must be self-directed, organized, and possess strong communication skills with ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Work in close collaboration with multiple constituents simultaneously. Manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of issues and challenges facing undergraduate and graduate students.
- Ability and willingness to function as a member of a team.
- Commitment to continued personal and professional development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability's to exercise sound judgment as it relates to dealing with students, faculty, staff, administrative personnel, parents, and representatives of outside organizations.
Physical Requirements: (Due to Covid-19 telecommute is available)
- Close vision, hearing/listening, and clear speech.
- Manual hand/fingers dexterity.
- Frequently sit, sort, file paperwork, grasp lightly, and use of fine manipulation, lift, carry, push and pull objects that weigh 10 pounds or less.
- Ability to utilize office equipment such as computers and copiers.
- Works with/around and has verbal and face-to-face contact with others.
- Works indoors in an office environment majority of the time.
- Simple to complex reading, writing, clerical, and math ability.
- Occasionally write by hand, twist, bend, stoop and squat.
*Consistent with obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodations to perform the essential functions of the job.
- May work extended hours during peak business cycles, including weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work with Woodbury colleagues and external partners.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Promotes Culture of Inclusivity
About Woodbury University
Woodbury University is a Hispanic Serving Institution with an undergraduate enrollment of 1,117 students, of which 68% are students of color and 48% are Federal Pell Grant recipients. The university values diversity, equity and inclusiveness as an essential part of an experience-centered education. Woodbury’s beautiful 22-acre campus and small class sizes attract students engaged with personal, communal, and practice-based learning. The university’s central location in the greater Los Angeles area provides significant opportunity to partner with community organizations and stakeholders engaged with diverse populations and issues of environmental justice.
Review of applications will begin immediately and remain open until filled. Submissions should include:
- Current CV which lists the candidate’s educational and employment history
- Contact information for at least three references
- Cover letter indicating interest and qualifications
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Woodbury University is dedicated to celebrating diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Woodbury University is an EEO/AA institution committed to multicultural diversity in its peoples and programs. All employment decisions for all job classifications will be made on the basis of such factors as education, character, ability, skill and training, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political orientation, disability, veteran status, marital status, parental status, genetic information, membership or non-membership in any lawful organization, or any other protected status