Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-01-11
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
To assist in experimental testing activities, laboratory housekeeping, and day-to day activities in the laboratory. Laboratory activities may include specimen fabrication, construction, handling, sampling, testing, measuring, recording and analyzing data as part of a research team. The candidate will be provided with all the required training and technical support. Candidate must follow Standard Operation Procedures and laboratory policies. This job plays an important role in the research and development (R&D) and in scientific analysis and investigation of the Department and College of Engineering.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform laboratory tests in order to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations;
- Fabricate samples using for example wood, concrete, plastic, and steel materials.
- Use power tools to carry out assigned tasks.
- Carry out routine tasks accurately and following strict methodologies to carry out analyses;
- Operate standard laboratory equipment (test frames, hydraulic actuators, balances..etc)
- Support and assist in the maintenance activities of laboratory equipment;
- Support and assist in laboratory housekeeping activities ensuring space is clean, well-stocked and resourced;
- Record and sometimes interpret results to present to senior colleagues;
- Use computers and perform mathematical calculations for the preparation of graphs;
- Conduct searches on identified topics relevant to the research;
- Follow and ensure strict safety procedures and safety checks, adhering to correct procedures and health and safety guidelines;
- Report progress on a day-today basis;
- Perform daily end of the day walk through the laboratory;
- Inform proactively of issues that could present delays or problems, while making recommendations that may affect operations.
- Maintain and keep good housekeeping practices in the laboratory.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of and experience in the set-up and preparation of a materials based research laboratory. Good record keeping, organizational and communication skills. Ability to operate and trouble-shoot technical or computer equipment, software and/or scientific apparatus.
High School Degree with minimum of 1 year of work experience (minimum 2 years of work experience preferred) or Bachelor Degree, background in engineering (civil, architectural, mechanical, electrical) is preferred, with emphasis in construction and/or civil engineering laboratory or construction work in preferred.
1 year of work experience (2 years of work experience preferred), the following areas (or equivalent) are preferred: civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrician, construction, material science laboratory, concrete industry, workshop/machinist technician. Any appropriate combination of education, certifications and/or relevant work experience will be considered.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:r3