Laboratory Technician I #494784
Laboratory Technician I #494784FTE:
Materials Instrumentation CenterJob Summary/Basic Function:
Job Summary:The Laboratory Technician will collaborate with faculty, student and staff in the Science and Technology Building in the operations of instructional and research laboratories. The successful applicant is expected to actively facilitate the research/instructional activities of faculty and students in a clean and safe working environment. The selected candidate will provide expertise, mentoring and technical support to students, faculty, and staff in developing knowledge and solutions; and assist in implementing training programs and programmatic activities. In addition, the Laboratory technician will also perform testing, documentation, record keeping, housekeeping, routine maintenance on laboratory space where applicable, and manage inventory for consumables and supplies. The ideal candidate should be handy, organized, self-motivated, and a life-learner with an interest to support the teaching and research missions of Lamar University.
Essential Job Functions:
1.Maintain chemical & equipment inventory and ensure all supplies are within expiration dates.
2.Maintain operational logs of equipment and instrumentation.
3.Ensure equipment and instrumentation are in good operational condition in the Science and Technology building (troubleshoot issues, perform preventive maintenance and schedule repairs).
4.Place purchase orders; verify receipt and distribute supplies to investigators/instructors.
5.Evaluate data to determine potential issues related to quality control and implement corrective actions.
6.Assist project research teams in performing physical, chemical and biological analyses.
7.Maintain and clean laboratories, Makerspace and affiliated areas.
8.Perform annual departmental physical inventory check.
9.Troubleshoot and resolve computer/IT issues.
10.Attend and participate in group and project meetings.
11.Collaborate with other laboratory staff members as assigned by LU administrators.
Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to needs of the university.
Minimum Education Required:
A 2-year associated degree in laboratory operation or related areas.
Minimum Experience Required:
• At least 2-years’ experience operating in a team environment;
• At least 2-years’ experience operating analytical instrumentation or operating fabrication equipment; and
• At least 2-years’ experience working in an academic environment (teaching or research laboratory).
• Ability to troubleshoot and resolve laboratory issues independently;
• Ability to effectively communicate with a multi-cultural workforce;
• Ability to teach and mentor undergraduate students;
• Experience building and maintaining an institutional culture that encourages and supports research and investigation;
• Experience in instrumental analysis (e.g., Ion Chromatography (IC), Total Organic Carbon Analyzer (TOC), High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Gas chromatography (GC), and Ultraviolet-Visible spectrophotometry (UV-Vis) or reverse osmosis (RO) membrane filtration systems); and
• Knowledge in laboratory safety requirement and general sample treatments in a wet chemistry lab.
Physical Requirements:With or without accommodation. Will require an individual to perform physical tasks involved in a laboratory setting. Some activities could involve applicant to work outdoor in full sun, rain, heat and cold. Will frequently be required to perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, speak clearly and listening comprehension.
Job Conditions:This position may require occasional evening and/or weekends to meet university and departmental needs.
Lamar Expectation of Quality:
Employee will support the mission of Lamar by providing high quality, professional services, timely responses, and solutions to customer requests.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference Statement:
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Preferred Qualifications:
Bachelor’s Degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (STEM) preferred.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.Salary:
01/11/2021Open Until Filled: