Director of Development (*Restricted)
Director of Development (*Restricted)Department:
Exec Dir. NVCC Educ FoundationPosting Number:
Annandale, VA: 22003Full or Part Time:
Full TimeSalary Range:
$65,000.00 - $75,000.00Basic Function:
The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director of the NOVA Foundation and is primarily responsible for building solid and sustainable philanthropic support for the NOVA Foundation. The Director provides a strategic fundraising vision and subsequently leads and implements all philanthropic
functions. The Director has responsibility for the development, administration and management of the annual fund, planned gifts program, events, corporate and foundation partnerships, and fundraising campaigns.
*This position is restricted and is funded with non-continuous or non-recurring funding and is subject to continuation based on fiscal year funds and the needs of the college.Duties and Responsibilities:
·Must be available to work evenings and weekends as needed
· Maintains and strengthens a comprehensive portfolio of 80-100 individual donors annually with the ability to make major gift contributions to the Foundation on an annual basis, personally executing cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities.
· Work with Foundation Executive Director and staff to create and implement an
annual calendar of stewardship activities designed to cultivate and steward
current and prospective supporters at all giving levels.
· Provide strategic guidance and staff support to the Foundation’s Executive
Director and the Board in their work to build relationships with major and lapsed
donors, including recommending strategies and crafting materials to support their
· In conjunction with Board leadership and Executive Director, construct and execute an annual board campaign to ensure that 100%
of the Board personally gives to the
· Work with Executive Director, College President and Board leadership to
identify and articulate long- and short-term goals.
· Work with staff and Board leadership, as appropriate, to prepare for any
upcoming campaign fundraising initiatives, strategically broadening and deepening
the Foundation’s donor base and maintaining an efficient and professional
· Serves as a representative for the Foundation at external functions and
presentations and on boards and committees as needed.
· Attends Foundation Committee and Board of Directors meetings.
Corporate and Foundation Relations
· In coordination with the Executive Director and College designee serve as the primary, front-facing manager of relationships with corporate and foundation donors. This includes working strategically with program officers and corporate contacts to maintain existing relationships and develop new opportunities for expanded partnerships.
Collaborate with Workforce Development to maximize corporate investment in NOVA. This collaboration must be hard-wired into every interaction with a corporation. Efforts to ensure collaboration should include ongoing and frequent communication between teams.
· Develop annual funding and relationship strategies including developing long-term
corporate partnerships for additional employee volunteer and leadership
· Maintain knowledge of emerging funding opportunities and work to align them
with College needs.
· Serve as a credible and compelling spokesperson on behalf of Foundation.
· With staff and Board leadership, identify recurring needs for donor and revenue
reports and ensure their timely generation for meetings and updates to key staff
and volunteer leaders.
Campaign and Special Projects
· In conjunction with the Executive Director, direct comprehensive campaigns and
other major fundraising drives.
· Respond to Foundation needs by engaging in special projects at the direction of
the Executive Director.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a
comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of
the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at
any time with or without notice.
· Significant professional experience in development and fundraising
for not-for-profit organizations.
· Significant years of management experience.
· Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent related occupational experience.
Advanced degree or professional fundraising
certification. Capital campaign experience.
· Demonstrated experience managing the Board and CEO fundraising portfolio.
· Demonstrated and quantifiable success in moves management for five-figure plus
· Demonstrated success across fundraising strategies, including annual and
major giving, corporate and foundation relationships, volunteer engagement,
creative special events, comprehensive and/or capital campaigns and effective
use of data and reporting mechanisms.
· Extensive knowledge of best practice fundraising principles, including the
techniques and practices for garnering individual and institutional support.
· Ability to write persuasively, clearly, and concisely to blend information from
multiple sources into a single, effective fundraising document that meets the
needs of the prospect.
· Ability to interact effectively with board members, current and prospective
donors, and program and development staff at all levels.
· Demonstrated experience deepening board engagement with fundraising and
providing strong staffing and support for volunteer-led cultivation and solicitation.
· Experience working independently and as a team lead in a results-oriented
environment and demonstrating flexibility in meeting shifting demands and
· Knowledge of national, regional, and local philanthropic sources.
· Excellent skills in office suite software, including word processing, spreadsheet and
communication applications; includes advance knowledge of media
· Strong communication and public presentation skills.
· Understands data and how to articulate metrics in laymen’s terms; guides
conversation using data.
· Experience in the development and implementation of budgets, budget
management and grant development.
· A proven track record of innovative and creative thinker; not afraid to propose
something new and inspire others to do the same.
· Experience in strategic plan build-out, execution, and evaluation.
· Basic end-user level understanding and experience with Raiser’s Edge is a
02/17/2021Open Until Filled:
NoSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
May be required to perform other duties as assigned. May be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.Background Check Statement:
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of an extensive criminal background
investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of
education, credit checks (relevant to employment), and other checks requested by the VCCS and NOVA such as
I-9 and E-Verify requirements. Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s
Statement of Economic Interest.