Central Dispatch Officer
Job Title: Central Dispatch Officer
Location: UNG-Dahlonega, GA
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 221614
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.Job Summary
The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Central Dispatch Officer on the Dahlonega campus. The Central Dispatch Officer will perform work involving receiving incoming calls for service or assistance and dispatching personnel to service and emergency response locations. Operates a multi-line telephone console and two-way radio to communicate with callers and officers in the field; reviews and monitors multiple security cameras throughout community; monitors and records fire and panic alarms throughout community; prepares/receives inquiries into and from the Georgia Crime Information Computer System and National Crime Information Computer System; further responsible for assisting and directing students, faculty, staff, and community members with non-related criminal matters. Is required to work shift work that may change depending on the need of the department. This includes day or night, weekends and holidays. Required to abide by the departmental standard operating procedures
This position will be temporarily housed on the Gainesville campus. .Responsibilities
- Answers incoming calls from the public, department personnel, and students requesting information, service or assistance; Dispatchers units to calls for service, takes messages; route callers to appropriate party.
- Responds to and monitors a variety of emergency and non-emergencies; monitors security cameras, fir and panic alarm systems, and access control.
- Maintains a dispatch module and records all incoming or assistance calls in order to document status of requests for service or assistance; writes and completes work orders on service or repairs to be performed
- Informs personnel of unusual or emergency conditions or situations or problems requiring special handlings. Handles emergency phone calls and situations in an appropriate way. Uses telephone to relay information to other departments, agencies, superiors, and other personnel.
- Answers and appropriately deals with customer calls, concerns, or complaints. Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Must be at least 18 year of age and, able to communicate effectively (orally and in writing) and prepare confidential records.
- One year as a call taker or 911 operator in a 911 center or other Public Safety Answering Point preferred.
- Prefer GCIC Certification and POST Basic Communications Officer Certification, or other state equivalent or ability to possess certification.
- Must have knowledge of administrative policies and procedures; knowledge of grammar and spelling; general office procedures including filing, posting, and records maintenance; radio dispatch procedures.
- Skills in operating two-way radio console; operating a multi-line telephone console; computer and other electronic information systems.
- Excellent communications and customer service skills.
- Ability to type and do data entry.
- Ability to handle difficult situations in an efficient manner dealing with public concerns; capable of handling many various tasks simultaneously with accuracy and assurance.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with the University of North Georgia, as determined by University of North Georgia in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.Special Applicant Instructions
Please submit contact information for three professional references.
Required Documents to Attach:
- Cover Letter