Director, Student Health Services
Director, Student Health ServicesPosition Type:
100%Job Description Summary:
The Director of Student Health Services leads and manages the physical health and well-being of the University of La Verne students. This position leads Student Health Services in their mission, vision, assessment along with all administrative and financial functions. The Director hires, supervises, and evaluates two Registered Nurses and well as provides oversight for outsourced medical providers (medical doctors and physician assistants). The Director embraces a prevention-oriented health model that allows students the opportunity to become self-advocates for their physical well-being. The Director collaborates with internal and external partners for programming and other educational experiences for the holistic well-being of our students. The Director acts as the university Student Health Insurance Administrator, working with our outsourced insurance broker to provide the best medical insurance plan available at a reasonable cost to our students.
The University of La Verne is a private not-for-profit university founded in 1891 located in La Verne, California. The core values that we live by are Ethical Reasoning, Diversity and Inclusivity, Lifelong Learning, and Community and Civic Engagement.
If you’re passionate about these values, join us at the University of La Verne!
- To provide a prevention-oriented health care model for basic, cost-effective health care; to develop an organizational chart with job descriptions, including essential functions, for each staff member; clearly specifying responsibilities and defining the essential and recommended qualifications for each position; evaluate each employee according to HR recommendations/procedures.
- To develop policy and procedure manuals for health services; update/revise as needed; ensure that policies/manuals are reviewed annually by nursing staff; to inform staff of new trends and procedures that would enhance college health care delivery; to secure liability insurance for nursing staff annually and to promote continuing education of the nursing staff; to develop/update a referral list of health care professionals, clinics, and resources in our area, including specialty services.
- To maintain oversight of billing for services rendered in order to receive appropriate reimbursement dollars from insurance carrier; to maintain an onsite pharmacy according to State/Federal laws.
- To implement and maintain a fiscally-sound budget in alignment with the university’s financial situation; to prepare annual reports for the Chief Student Affairs Officer.
- To promote the health maintenance and well-being of students through health counseling, screenings and health awareness activities; to include not only direct patient care but also teaching, counseling, and serving as a campus consultant on health-related matters.
- To provide leadership, strategic visioning, establishing strategic goals and objectives aligned with the University mission and baccalaureate goals for the Student Health Center.
- To oversee federal and state law compliance for all educational and medical entities: FERPA, HIPPA, TITLE IX, CLERY ACT., etc.
- Serve on university wide committees to represent the voice, needs and concerns of our students medical needs; and to foster collaboration between our team/departments and other teams/departments across campus for student success and retention.
- To serve as a member of the Behavioral Intervention Team: the Team goal is to identify a person(s) of concern for self-harm and/or threat to others.
- To serve on the CARE Team: the team assists students who are in need of additional support due to physical/psychological and/or financial/academic concerns.
- To serve as the key point staff member/expert for any medical emergency on campus; i.e. a case of documented or presumed case of bacterial meningitis; serves as the medical liaison to the Emergency Operation Command Center for natural disasters/emergencies that may occur on campus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
Professional Certifications, Training and Required Licenses
- California Registered Nursing license – current and in good standing
- Current Red Cross First Aid and CPR
- BLS (Basic Life Support Training) – American Heart Association
- 5 years of experience with late adolescent/young adult health (college health preferred)
- Exceptional nursing and intervention skills
- Ability to make independent nursing judgments; determines appropriate course of action in compliance with the Standards of Nursing Practice and California Nursing Practice Act.
- Good organizational, people skills, and networking
- Working knowledge of budgeting/contracts
- California Public Health Nurse Certificate
- Master of Science in Nursing Degree
- Master’s Degree in Health Education, Sociology, Psychology, Counseling, Health Care Administration, and/or Public Health or Community Health
- Phlebotomy Certification/License
Salary will be commensurate with experience and internal equity. Benefits include a comprehensive health and wellness plan, tuition remission program for employee, spouse, and dependent children, a generous contribution to the University’s 403B retirement plan, and a generous time off plan.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of a background check and employment verification.Location:
La Verne Central CampusNumber of Vacancies:
2018-190691SASpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Another Source staffing agency is supporting the search and welcomes applications and inquiries.
To formally apply, please go to: https://careers-anothersource.icims.com/jobs/3020/job?mode=job&iis=SOURCE&iisn=EmployerLinkOpen Until Filled: