Perform parking enforcement and public contact work in support of campus parking, transportation and security operations.
- Work involves helping to manage parking and traffic by patrolling parking lots and roadways via foot, vehicle, bicycle, or other mode of transport and by monitoring activities.
- Work includes monitoring assigned areas for possible violation of policies, regulations, and rules of conduct; recognizing and reporting unusual, suspicious, or hazardous situations; providing information and assistance to the public; operating and maintaining enforcement equipment; and maintaining related records and reports.
- Work requires knowledge of the parking/permit rules and/or parking enforcement practices and digital equipment; basic knowledge of standard methods of reporting and handling emergencies such as disturbances and fires, medical and security threats; knowledge of applicable policies, rules, and regulations.
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion in the course of conducting business; works individually and/ or with others; and adapts to change and circumstances.
- May require shift, weekend, and/or overtime work.
- Provide customer service by answering questions regarding directions, events, building locations and parking policies.
- Issue citations and warnings for non-compliance with a computerized handheld computer or manual tickets.
- Impound, boot or relocate vehicles as directed.
- This position requires the ability to work alone and therefore must exercise proper judgment, tact and diplomacy in dealing with people.
- Assist maintenance/staff with duties related to parking equipment and facility/gate upkeep and maintenance.
- Assist in the collection and security of all monies received through parking meters, multi-space machines, pay on foot technology and any other means of collecting parking revenues and fees.
- Assist event staff with activities related to parking for events. This includes but is not limited to: setting up for events, traffic control, receipt of payment for parking, and lot usage control/monitoring and other duties as advised. Assist office staff with activities related to permits and permit violations during peak seasons. This includes but is not limited to data entry and providing frontline customer service.
- De-escalate difficult situations by remaining calm, being empathetic and maintaining impulse control. Ensure compliance with University policies, including parking rules and regulations and perform appropriate enforcement action.
- Perform simple vehicle maintenance procedures such as checking fluids and reporting mechanical or other problems to supervisors.
- Observe and report unusual conditions.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein. Other duties as assigned by director or senior management team.
The above statements describe the general nature and levelof work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Performance which reflects at least a satisfactory level, as defined by Duke University, related to: Customer Focus, teamwork, creative problem solving, continuous learning, diversity.
- Maintain a calm and professional demeanor during emergency and non- emergency situations involving individuals and groups.
- Written/verbal communication skills which support the ability to submit accurate documentation and effectively communicate.
- Ability to work outside throughout the duration of assigned shift.
- Availability for work must be conducive to our responsibility for 24 hour cove rage. This includes but is not limited to the ability to work at least 12 hour shifts, rotate days/nights, and provide coverage forweekends, holidays, and mandatory overtime.
- Demonstrate acceptable ability to use relevant equipment including desktop computer, first aid kit, twoway radios, motorized conveyance, and other devices/equipment.
- Comprehension and accurate application of policies and laws.
- Ability to operate a hand held, portable radio and parking citation device.
- Competitive candidates will have demonstrated ability to perform the following:
- Stand inside or outside at a stationary post for the duration of assigned shift; run in response to calls for service; climb or descend multiple flights of stairs; climb or descend any type of ladder; assist with the lifting and carrying of persons; lift and carry a hand-held fire extinguisher (up to 40 pounds) and if necessary, use it to extinguish a fire; lift and carry assorted job related items including, but not limited to pylons, chains, traffic directional/control signs, and vehicle immobilization devices (up to 50 pounds); sit in an uprightchair to monitor CCTV camera screens.
Must have High School Diploma or GED and 1 year of parking experience or greater is preferred. Must possess and maintain a valid North Carolina Driver's License. Passor achieve an acceptable score on all pre-employment screening. Pass a background investigation and drug screen.
Prefer one year of experience in a security/parking related field. Customer service experience is a plus.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.