Part-Time, Hourly Advising Specialist (Temp)
Job no: 494953
Work type: Temporary part time
Location: Glassboro, New Jersey
Categories: Administrative - Clerical
Department: Office of Advising and Student Information Services (OASIS)
Division: Division of Global Learning and Partnerships
Reports to: OASIS Director
The Advising Specialist supports the Division’s enrollment, retention, and graduation goals by establishing and maintaining effective communication with students through proactive advising outreach and student support. The Advising Specialist also collaborates to develop and improve student onboarding, communication, outreach, and student support initiatives and to assist matriculated students in connecting with appropriate institutional resources to facilitate the achievement of their academic, personal, and professional goals.
- Assist with recruitment activities, enrollment outreach initiatives, new student orientations, and developing advising materials and presentations to support individual and group advising sessions for various sites/modes of delivery.
- Advise students about academic requirements, testing and certification requirements, and course selection via individual and group sessions (virtually and face-to-face) and provide guidance to students on relevant institutional policies and procedures.
- Stay abreast of institutional information including admissions requirements, academic programs, course changes, deadlines, important dates, costs, expanding facilities, updates in college-wide initiatives, transfer requirements, and state and federal mandates.
- Understand the institution’s interpretation of FERPA rules for the release of student information to faculty, families, students, etc.
- Refer students to the appropriate specialized staff for services such as tutoring, testing, counseling, disability resources, financial assistance, study abroad, field placement, etc.
- Maintain accurate records (including electronic notes) of interactions with students.
- Produce and use data and reports regarding academic progress issues for assessment purposes and for monitoring student progress and outreach.
- Assist with the development of communications (e.g., newsletters, social media) and events to support the needs of a primarily non-residential, post-traditional student population.
- Support academic progress review and outreach to students in academic jeopardy.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Travel to other campuses, including for evening and weekend events, as required.
- Understand that primary responsibilities and/or office location may be subject to change as programs offered through Rowan Global expand and evolve.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in a field relevant to the position preferred.
- One year of experience working directly with students in a post-secondary educational institution or other appropriate educational setting.
- Experience as an online academic advisor or instructor at the college level, especially for adult, community college, online, and/or transfer student populations.
- Experience advising students in pre-professional programs (e.g., Construction Management, Education, Emergency Management, Human Services, Nursing, etc.) highly desirable.
- Knowledge of NACADA Advising Core Competencies.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and student information systems (e.g., Banner, Colleague).
- Data management and interpretation skills.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and analytical skills.
- Superior customer service skills.
- Flexibility, creativity, and passion for student success.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Advertised: Jan 11 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Jan 25 2021 11:55 PM Eastern Standard Time