Academic Advisor - College of Innovation & Design
Job no: 494344
Work type: Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Academic Programs, Student Services, Internal Opportunities
Advertised: January 08, 2021
Applications close: January 22, 2021
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
Provide in-depth, specialized, and/or comprehensive advising to faculty and students regarding class choices, curriculum options, majors, departmental and University policies and procedures, and other academic needs.
This is an internal job posting and is open to current Boise State employees only.Level Scope:
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.Essential Functions:
60 % of Time Academic Advisor will:
● Maintain positive connections with faculty and staff in focus area to facilitate student connections.
● Coordinate communication of information related to important dates, deadlines and procedures to advisees.
● Monitors student progress and suggests and implements corrective actions with students encounter academic difficulties. Meets with students with academic probation suspension or academic misconduct issues.
● Keeps current on university and college policies and procedures, and rules and regulations to assist students in meeting academic requirements.
● Acts as a source of information for prospective students, and actively recruits students through participation in various university and college sponsored orientations and events.
35% of the time:
• Represent CI+D at University-wide meetings and actively market CI+D programs/courses
• Attend GIMM faculty meetings
• Field phone calls & emails, edit marketing content
• Identify & report areas of concern to GIMM group, and contribute to ideas for solutions
5% of the time
Other duties as assigned.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● The ability to effectively communicate information and ideas
● Ability to develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize and accomplish the tasks at hand
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills
● Demonstrate a strong understanding of institutional policies
● Good knowledge of: discussing career and educational goals with students; identifying student strengths and weaknesses.
● Experience: in student counseling, development, education or related field.
Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
This is an internal job posting and is open to current Boise State employees only.Preferred Qualifications:
* Experience at Boise State University or other similar institution
• Ability to assume accountability for assignments, work well with others as a team to accomplish a common goal and remain poised under pressure;
• Attitude of innovation and ability to thrive in a fluid work environment.
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Cover letter and resume.