Internal Medicine Program Director (Assistant/Associate/Full Professor)
Job Title: Internal Medicine Program Director (Assistant/Associate/Full Professor)
Location: AU/UGA Med Partnership Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 222453
The AU/UGA Medical Partnership is looking for a dynamic, innovative academic medical educator with outstanding interpersonal and communication skills to serve as the Program Director of the three-year categorical Internal Medicine Residency Program in Athens, GA. This position will offer enormous possibilities for developing and enhancing skills, leadership ability, and personal growth. The Program Director will be responsible for administering and maintaining an educational environment conducive to educating the residents in each of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) competency areas. All compliance with the sponsoring institution’s written policies and procedures and those required by the ACGME will be the Program Director’s responsibility, including those specified in the Institutional Requirements for selection, evaluation, and promotion of residents, disciplinary action, and supervision of residents. The position is a non-tenure track appointment at the rank of assistant, associate, or full professor to commensurate with experience.Responsibilities
- As the leader of the program, must serve as a role model to residents in addition to fulfilling the technical aspects of the role, therefore the Program Director must model outstanding professionalism, high quality patient care, educational excellence, and a scholarly approach to work.
- Responsible for all administrative and educational activities of the Internal Medicine Residency Program, including outpatient clinical instruction of residents.
- Design and conduct the program in a fashion consistent with the needs of the community, the mission of the Sponsoring Institution, and the missions of the program and major participating site.
- Along with program faculty, responsible for the implementation of the Internal Medicine residency curriculum to provide a high-quality education program and to meet the requirements of the ACGME. The curriculum provides educational goals and objectives appropriate for each level of training in the program. The Program Director is responsible for establishing the clinical and educational assignments and schedule of the residents to achieve the educational objectives of the program.
- Select qualified Internal Medicine physicians and other specialists to serve on the program faculty. Organize the faculty to deliver a consistently high-quality education program. Evaluate the performance of faculty in meeting program objectives. Approve the continued participation of program faculty based on evaluation of performance. Develop and implement programs to enhance the knowledge, clinical expertise, and teaching skills of the faculty. Assure that faculty meet research and scholarly activity requirements of the program, including active participation in the clinical discussions, rounds, journal clubs, and research conferences in a manner that promotes a spirit of inquiry and scholarship.
- Organize and direct the Internal Medicine Residency Program, including the organization of clinical rotations and other educational activities at all clinical sites. Ensure the quality of didactic and clinical education at all participating sites. The Program Director must administer and maintain an educational environment conducive to educating the residents in each of the ACGME competency areas.
- Monitor resident supervision. The Program Director shall assure that residents are assigned clinical responsibilities appropriate for their level of training and level of knowledge and skill, are appropriately supervised in clinical assignments, and provide safe and effective patient care.
- Recruit and select the Internal Medicine residents in concert with institutional policies and guidelines.
- Prepare and submit all information required and requested by the ACGME, including, but not limited to, the annual program updates through the ACGME Accreditation Data System. Prepare for on-site program accreditation reviews as necessary.
- Provide a learning and working environment in which residents have the opportunity to raise concerns and provide feedback in a confidential manner as appropriate, without fear of intimidation or retaliation.
- Participate in the clinical practice of the Ambulatory/Outpatient Residency Practice including supervising residents in the ambulatory practice.
- Oversee resident appointment and participation with various program and hospital committees.
- MD or DO degree
- Board Certification in Internal Medicine by American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) or by the American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine (AOBIM)
- Must have specialty expertise and at least three years of documented educational and/or administrative experience
- Able to obtain an unrestricted medical license in the state of Georgia
- Able to obtain appropriate hospital credentials and privileges
- Able to obtain an unrestricted Drug Enforcement Administration license
Academic Rank and Salary to be commensurate with qualifications and experience.About Us Background Information:
Augusta University and University of Georgia have partnered to create a four-year medical education program in Athens, GA, to help alleviate a statewide shortage of physicians that threatens the health of Georgians. The AU/UGA Medical Partnership combines the significant instructional and research resources of UGA, the flagship land grant research university, with the expertise of the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University, Georgia’s public medical school. The AU/UGA Medical Partnership has partnered with St. Mary’s Healthcare System as the major participating site to sponsor a three-year categorical Internal Medicine Residency Program in Athens, GA.
The Community: Athens is one of the nation’s quintessential college towns and has maintained a top ten ranking in the Forbes list of best places to live in the US for the last three years. In 2018, Athens was rated #6 in best small places for business and careers, #19 in education, and #31 in job growth. This city of 129,000 people is home to the University of Georgia, one of the nation’s top three producers of Rhodes Scholars over the past two decades. Athens is also known as the birthplace of R.E.M., the B-52’s, and Drive-by Truckers. Culturally, Athens possesses a lively restored Victorian-era downtown bustling with shops, dining, and nightlife. It is located in Northeast Georgia 61 miles from Atlanta and is less than 4 hours away from both mountains and beaches. To learn more about Athens, see http://www.visitathensga.com. Conditions of Employment
All candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review. For specific positions, the final candidate may be subject to a (pre-employment) physical, drug screen, and/or credit check.
The final candidate will be required to provide proof of completed academic degree(s) as well as post-secondary coursework in the form of original transcript(s). Those candidates trained by a foreign institution will also be required to provide an educational/credential evaluation.
The application packet should include a curriculum vitae and a cover letter addressing how the applicant's credentials and experience meet the responsibilities and qualifications of the position.
Application materials can only be accepted through the Augusta University online application process. Apply online at http://www.augusta.edu/hr/jobs/faculty/.
A list of references may be requested at a later date.
Application Deadline: Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Position Start Date: March 1, 2021 or negotiable.Equal Employment Opportunity Augusta University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer welcoming applicants from underrepresented groups, including individuals with disabilities and veterans. Other Information This position is also responsible for promoting a customer friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner everyday with patients and families for success." Augusta University is a tobacco free environment and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.