Assistant Legal Advisor Location:
Augusta University Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Job Information Exciting opportunity to join the Office of Legal Affairs at the area's only Academic Medical Center! Reporting to the General Counsel, this position will handle a variety of legal matters for the university. A strong focus on providing legal advice and legal tasks related to student affairs, contracts and university policies. Responsibilities Responsibilties include, but are not limited to:
- Legal consultation and advice with senior leaders in the College of Graduate Studies, the College of Allied Health, Pamplin College of Arts and Humanities, and Student Affairs on employment matters, student conduct matters, and state and federal regulatory obligations under FERPA, Title IV, Title IX, FLSA, and EEO;
- Legal review and advice on University contracts for medical affiliation agreements, academic affiliation agreements, inter-agency services and support agreements, leases and real property transactions, employment agreements, service contracts with outside third parties, and licensing agreements;
- Legal advice and legal work on the University policies, including convening the meetings for the University Policy Group (PAG), providing legal review on all draft policies and policy revisions, being the lead attorney for all University Policy initiatives and regulatory requirements, and proposing new policies to conform to "best practices" and legal obligations;
- Providing legal advice, legal review, and approval of University responses to Open Record Act (ORA) requests, including reviewing ORA requests for legal validity or relevance, leading the effort to gather responsive documents, and reducing all confidential and privileged information from responses;
- Preparing and conducting proactive legal in-person presentations to University leadership and departments on how to manage successfully complex workplace issues and education issues, to include Title IX, conflicts of interest, conflicts of commitments, intellectual property, ethics, sexual harassment, amorous relations policy, toxic workplace issues, gratuities, travel expenses and reimbursement, and fitness for duty;
- Providing legal representation and participation of key University committees, working groups, task force, and strategic projects, to include Study Abroad Committee, Privacy Committee, and others.
Minimum Requirements Juris Doctorate (J.D.) Law degree from an accredited college or university and two (2) years' law experienceMember of the State Bar of Georgia or must be admitted to the State Bar of Georgia within 12 monthsPreferred Qualifications Relevant experience in higher education, healthcare and/or biomedical research strongly preferred.Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Detail-oriented with strong organizational skillsAbility to maintain confidentiality and multi-taskAbility to prioritize and manage conflicting deadlinesExcellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skillsProficient in Microsoft Office and other computer software/databasesAbility to work independently, perform well under pressure, meet deadlines and exercise good judgmentShift/Salary Shift: Full-Time (May be required to work outside normal business hours) Pay Grade: 26 Salary: $86,225 - $125,000/Annually
Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position Recruitment Period: Until FilledConditions of Employment All candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review prior to starting with Augusta University.Equal Employment Opportunity Augusta University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer welcoming applicants from underrepresented groups, including individuals with disabilities and veterans.Other Information This position is also responsible for promoting a customer friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner everyday with patients and families for success." Augusta University is a tobacco free environment and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.Certifications
Membership of the State Bar of Georgia or must be admitted to the State Bar of Georgia within 12 months.