Department: Fiscal Affairs
Pay Grade: 9 ($42,028 - $56,533)
FLSA Status: Exempt
This position is responsible for maintaining accounting systems pertaining to grants and other funds, accounts receivables, accounts payable, and the College Foundation. The Accountant reports to the Controller.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs accounting transactions in assigned accounting systems.
- Performs transactions and reporting for assigned grants and other fund activity.
- Performs reconciliations of general ledger accounts
- Performs transactions for accounting activity in the college’s Foundation.
- Performs monthly college Foundation reporting and reconciliations.
- Provides schedules and necessary back-up for the annual Foundation audit; prepares the annual financial statements
- Assists the Foundation staff with donor questions, expense back-up documentation and various funding requests
- Prepares necessary reconciliations and reports for annual audit for College and Foundation
- Assists in monitoring accounts receivable system. Resolves discrepancies with the Business Office.
- May print routine checks and purchase orders; performs accounts payable functions in absence of Accounts Payable Specialist.
- Remits the biweekly federal and state payroll taxes and the quarterly annual Pennsylvania tax reports
- Runs reports and creates journal entries in Colleague; Creates and prepares reports, queries and journal entries in Blackbaud Financial Edge and Raiser’s Edge
- Downloads A/P check file and submits to bank for processing
- Assists the Controller with the annual fiscal year close process for the College
- May assist Purchasing Manager with general administrative duties.
- Performs various other reconciliations and reports as necessary.
- Must be positive, cooperative and supportive
- Performs other duties as assigned
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or in a related field with at least two college courses in accounting. Three or more years of general accounting experience. Experience with computerized accounting systems and spreadsheet software in a Windows environment. Experience with grant reporting and/or non-profit preferred.
This work is normally sedentary work which requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required:
- Hear/talk/communicate – Must be able to exchange information and communicate
- Visual Acuity/ability to perceive or detect surroundings
- Mental acuity – Able to focus, concentrate, understand and convey subject matter
- Repetitive motion (i.e. keyboarding)
- Stand/sit/walk/able to move or traverse from one area to another
College campus, direct contact with students, staff, faculty and the general public in classrooms, common areas, offices, and campus environments. Use of safe workplace practices with office equipment; computers for data entry and word processing; avoidance of trips and falls; observance of fire and building safety regulations; and observance of traffic laws when/if driving a College vehicle.
This position will be placed on the 12-month grade 9 College salary scale. Actual salary placement based on qualifications and experience. Position includes an excellent fringe benefit package which can be found at:
In order to qualify for employment, candidates must successfully complete a criminal background check.
Interested applicants must submit a resume and cover letter with minimum salary requirement emailed to [email protected] or mailed to Carroll Community College, Human Resources, 1601 Washington Road, Westminster, MD 21157.
The deadline for applicant email submission is January 22, 2021 or postmarked by same date if submitted via U.S. mail.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS: The College pays one-half of reasonable travel expenses for the first visit and pays the entire cost of travel for the second visit. The College does not pay relocation expenses. However, following a one-year probationary period, year-to-year contracts are provided until three years of satisfactory service are completed, after which time 3-year contracts are provided.
Carroll Community College has the right to revise this position description at any time, and this position description does not represent in any way a contract of employment.
Carroll Community College is committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. Carroll Community College is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment.