Multicultural Student Specialist
Western Technical College is a preferred employer in the 7 Rivers Region. We are looking for individuals who are passionate about helping others learn and are dedicated to serving students. If you are a motivated individual who can contribute to excellence in teaching and learning, please consider this employment opportunity at Western. Western is committed to providing a safe and respectful workplace for all employees.
Summary of Position: Plan and develop programs and services for underserved students by coordinating and collaborating with multiple campus and community partners to create an accessible, inclusive, and fair campus for all learners. Collaborate with community-based learning activities to strengthen students’ cultural competence. Create community and peer support among underserved students. Advocate for the equitable treatment of our students and address student issues. Oversee and maintain a center and space that provides programs and services to build inclusion and community for all students but specifically our underserved students.
1. Maintain and uphold the College values of Learning, Excellence, Accountability, Diversity, Student Success, Teamwork, Integrity, and Respect. Regular attendance is required.
2. Complete all required College training and responsible for maintaining the skills necessary to complete the essential functions of the position as defined by the department.
3. Student Success is the cornerstone of Western’s culture and the college may assign employees as needed to other areas or additional duties to foster this success.
4. Program and Student Development - Supporting Action/Task May Include:
- Develop student programming series and offerings that builds community among students, educates and increases awareness of multiculturalism, diversity, social justice, equity and promotes community engagement
- Develop and launch an equity and inclusion student ambassador group to provide student feedback and improve campus climate. Create the necessary programming and promotion, manage budgets and funding, recruit students, and provide training
- Provide a hospitable and inclusive space for all students. Empower students using their individual strengths and promote social justice
- Collaborate with students and student organizations interested in multiculturalism, diversity, and inclusion
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to increase student understanding of hate and bias incident response, cultural competency, and equity
- Research current trends and best practices related to underserved student populations, diversity, and social justice education
- Develop a calendar of events, timelines, and consult on budgets for student programming and oversight of center each term in and out of the center
- Develop methods for data collection and program evaluations
- Coach student groups and classes to make the most of their experiential learning activities developing cultural competence, student agency, and critical self-reflection
- Serve as an advocate for first generation, multicultural, international, LGBT+, women, and other underrepresented students
- Supervise student employees
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Communications, Sociology, Social Justice, Education, Social Work or related field OR
- Associate Degree combined with appropriate occupational experience in related field totaling 7 yrs (14,000 hrs) OR
- Occupational experience in related field totaling 7 yrs (14,000 hrs)
Minimum Experience Requirements:
- Experience preferred
- Knowledge of student development preferred
- Knowledge of social justice education preferred
- Capability to build and maintain student relationships preferred
This position reports to: Director - Equity, Inclusion and Community Engagement
Starting annual salary range based on education and experience: $48,536 - $61,950
This position would include competitive salary, excellent benefits including medical, dental, WRS, Employee Wellness Programs and more.
Applicant review will begin: February 1, 2021
Start Date of: March 2021
Copies of Transcripts from regionally accredited colleges or universities are acceptable during the application process (originals will be required upon hire)
Western is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Our mission is to provide relevant, high quality education in a collaborative and sustainable environment that changes the lives of students and grows our communities. Western is committed to providing a safe and respectful workplace for all employees.
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Employer And Educator
Western Technical College is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status. Reasonable accommodation will be provided in the job application process to enable a qualified applicant to have an equal opportunity to be considered for a job as is provided to all Western employees. If you want to request an accommodation please contact the EEO/AA Compliance Officer at (608)785-9274.