Director of Alumni Engagement
Job no: 498688
Work type: Management (MPP)
Location: San José
Categories: MPP, Administrative, Fundraising & Alumni Relations, At-Will, Full Time
The Director of Alumni Engagement is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive engagement program designed to provide meaningful opportunities for volunteerism, service, personal and professional development, and events and programs for alumni to enhance loyalty, dedication, and support for San Jose State University in the department of Alumni and Community Engagement. These efforts will lead the university and alumni engagement vision which includes increasing alumni participation in the life of the university through a variety of outreach efforts, events and volunteerism. The Director of Alumni Engagement also develops and maintains cooperative and collaborative relationships and programs with University units, such as Career Services, Parent and Family Programs, Athletics, Student Affairs, and academic colleges and departments.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Plan, develop, implement and promote alumni programs that support Transformation 2030, Alumni Association and campaign goals. Collaborate with campus partners to provide appropriate and effective programming, to support alumni appeals and to facilitate alumni membership and alumni giving. Establish and build relationships with a wide range of alumni, locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Maintain regular communication with alumni. Implement ongoing alumni communications utilizing an array of platforms including email, social media, web presence, print and other outlets; Remain up to date on current methods and innovations to effectively communicate with alumni.
- Directly supervise the Alumni Engagement team, providing management, advice, support and guidance of the day-to-day operations. Hire and train staff as appropriate by being versed in alumni engagement and the work of volunteer management, event strategy and planning, communications, and budgeting. Provide the framework for, and oversight to, goal setting and benchmarking, recognition of volunteers and donors, events, volunteer recruitment, training and support. Participate in event-related meetings, including debriefings. Evaluate budgets, policies and procedures.
- Serve as a member of the leadership team in the Alumni and Community Engagement department.
- Assist with board management with the SJSU Alumni Association board of directors.
- Manage Alumni Association scholarship program, assuring donor stewardship is carried out along with the selection process for recipients in accordance with donor intent and Financial Aid policy
- Identify and qualify alumni prospects for gifts; Communicates development-related activities via written contact reports; Assures procedures are effective at documenting alumni engagement activity in the database.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to develop and implement programs consistent with Transformation 2030 and the SJSU Alumni Association strategic plan, and to ensure that programs effectively address agreed-upon objectives and priorities, operate within budget limitations, and comply with appropriate policies and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required, both written and oral, as well as high-level sophistication and maturity in social and professional settings.
- Ability to learn state, California State University, and SJSU policies and procedures.
- Ability to effectively manage and evaluate the work of staff; assign duties and responsibilities; oversee the work assignments to ensure work is done accurately and timely; and provide personnel development.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects; flexible and comfortable in a fast-paced environment, with excellent follow through.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Access) and Google Suite.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, project management, and highly effective presentation skills.
- High degree of comfort and cultural sensitivity working throughout the U.S. and internationally.
- Able to work weekends, nights and overnight travel.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Five years of progressively responsible leadership experience in higher education, advancement, non-profit or comparable environment
- Master’s Degree
- Supervisory experience in an Alumni Engagement role
Classification: Administrator III
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: January 8, 2021 through January 31, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: January 08, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time