998461, 998462Position Classification Title:
Building & Environmental TechFunctional Title:
Detail SpecialistPosition Type:
UNC Greensboro, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is 1 of only 57 doctoral institutions recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for both higher research activity and community engagement. Founded in 1891 and one of the original three UNC System institutions, UNC Greensboro is one of the most diverse universities in the state with 20,000+ students, and 3,000+ faculty and staff members representing 90+ nationalities. With 17 Division I athletic teams, 85 undergraduate degrees in over 125 areas of study, as well as 74 master’s and 32 doctoral programs, UNC Greensboro is consistently recognized nationally among the top universities for academic excellence and value, with noted strengths in health and wellness, visual and performing arts, nursing, education, and more. For additional information, please visit uncg.edu and follow UNCG on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:
The Facility Services department is a service organization comprised of skilled professionals dedicated to the continuous maintenance, operation, and improvement of the University Facilities and Grounds in order to provide a safe, clean, and well functioning environment for all members of the University community. These duties are conducted for a campus consisting of 100 buildings totaling 6 million gross square feet on 266 acres.Position Summary:
The position is responsible for general and detail cleaning in academic, administrative, and performance buildings on campus. This position also completes floor care, has good customer service skills, and completes other special projects such as furniture supply moves within the academic buildings on campus. Supervisor may assign other job-related duties not specifically listed under essential tasks.
General and Detail Cleaning – 60%
Floor Care – 15%
Special Projects – 15%
Customer Service – 10%
This position is a mandatory position as defined in the Adverse Weather and Emergency Event Policy.Minimum Qualifications:
Some knowledge of cleaning procedures, ability to follow instructions and to perform medium to heavy physical work; an equivalent combination of training and experience. Special certification may be required for some of these positions. Special note: this is a generalized representation of positions in this class and is not intended to identify essential functions per ADA. Examples of competencies are typical of the majority of positions, but may not be applicable to all functions.Preferred Qualifications:
At least six (6) months of directly related experience. Previous working experience at a higher learning institution. High School Diploma or GEDAlternate Option:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants are required to upload a list of at least three (3) professional references that includes:
- Company Name,
- Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic, or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
- Email Address
- Contact Phone Number
Facility Services Housekeeping - 56408Work Hours of Position:
4:00 PM - 12:30 AM, M-FNumber of Months per Year:
Institutional ServicesCareer Banded Title:
Building & Environmental TechOpen Date:
Non-ExemptIf time-limited, please specify end date for appointment.:
Time limited with full expectation for permanent funding to be allocated in January 2021. Current end date 6/30/21.Salary Grade Equivalency:
General and Detail CleaningEssential Tasks:
1. Cleaning Responsibilities – Expected to perform general and detail cleaning in private and public areas to include (but not limited to) hallways, stairwells, elevators, restrooms/locker rooms, entrance areas, lobbies, gymnasiums, classrooms, lounges, auditoriums, dressing rooms, offices, suites, housekeeping areas and other areas per the assigned cleaning routine or as assigned by supervision.
2. Daily Maintenance Responsibilities – Policies public areas per assigned routine or as directed. This includes restocking supplies and removing trash from restrooms, breakrooms, hallways, lounge areas and other areas as assigned. Also maintains floor areas in public spaces multiple time throughout assigned work hours.Key Responsibility:
Floor CareEssential Tasks:
1. Carpeted Floor Areas – Perform daily floor care tasks as assigned such as vacuuming and stain prevention. Perform periodic floor care tasks to include, but not limited extraction, bonneting and other processes deemed necessary or assigned by supervision.
2. Hard Surface Floor Areas -
a) Dust mops daily and mops as scheduled to remove excess dirt and to preserve finish. Cleans baseboards regularly or as scheduled by supervisor. Use of labor saving equipment (scrubbers) is required if the equipment is available.
b) Performs periodic floor maintenance such as stripping, top scrubbing, refinishing, and other related tasks as assigned by supervision.
3. Safety – Understands notifies and reports safety hazards and corrective actions that must be taken regarding the accident, as required by OSHA.
4. Training – Completes professional development instruction each fiscal year as directed.
5. Sustainability – Correctly utilizes recycling receptacles as instructed by OWRR to assist in UNCG’s commitment to sustainability as a core value of institutional operations.Key Responsibility:
Special Projects/ AssignmentsEssential Tasks:
1. Moves – Coordinates with customer and communicates with supervision to ensure customer satisfaction. Utilizes departmental labor-saving equipment to ensure safe and effective transportation of university property.
2. Event Coverage/Weekend Projects – Coordinates with supervisor for directions and expectations and other duties as assigned by supervision and/or event staff.
3. Exterior Building Projects – Responsible for outside areas (including porches) up to 25 feet from any building entrance. This includes outdoor waste receptacles, cigarette urns, pressure washing, leaf blowing/sweeping and snow removal.
4. Additional Duties – Additional duties including (but not limited to) aiding in the training of new staff members, monitoring and restocking supply closets throughout assigned facility, and additional tasks as assigned by supervision.Key Responsibility:
Customer ServiceEssential Tasks:
Strives to improve level of customer satisfaction and provides a service that meets both internal and external customers expectations on a routine basis. Handles routine inquiries and advises supervisor of complaints from customer. Whenever possible, assists supervisor with resolution of problem. Demonstrates professional and positive interactions with customers daily.Competency:
Knowledge - TechnicalCompetency Description:
Performs basic cleaning such as sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, dusting, disinfecting, vacuuming, etc., to keep working areas in a clean and orderly condition. Operates and maintains basic equipment in the performance of housekeeping duties to include motor scrubber, vacuum cleaner, backpack carpet extractor/cleaner, mondo vap, etc.Competency Level:
Interpersonal SkillsCompetency Description:
Communicates with fellow workers in a clear and concise manner that allows work to be completed. Communicates with management to obtain understanding of the organization’s objectives. Demonstrates personal accountability for completion of required tasks assuring quality results.Competency Level:
Customer ServiceCompetency Description:
Respectfully identifies, listens, and responds to customer needs (in order of priority) in assigned work areas. Builds and sustains productive customer relationships. Makes customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions. Demonstrates ability to adapt schedule to customers’ needs.Competency Level:
Listens to instructions, asks necessary questions to complete tasks. Confirms understanding of question/problem. Consistently demonstrates the ability to effectively express thoughts, ideas and information (verbal and non-verbal) concerning routine work issues.Competency Level:
Safety and Health ComplianceCompetency Description:
Understands appropriate action to correct hazards. Attends training and receives proper information pertaining to the use of PPE, equipment, safety and/or emergency procedures, and accident reporting. Reports accidents appropriately or in a timely manner. Reads MSDS and original labels before applying or mixing chemicals. Insures chemicals are labeled and environmentally safe are receiving close supervision. Reads safety manual prior to entering areas that should be avoided. Reads appropriate owner’s manual as it relates to equipment and is aware of proper safe operation and standards. Insures equipment is properly maintained. Contacts appropriate personnel (supervisor and lead person) when needed. Reports injuries, illnesses or unsafe acts or conditions.Competency Level:
Hand Movement-Repetitive Motions - F, Hand Movement-Grasping - F, Reading - C, Writing - F, Eye-hand coordination - C, Vision-Visual inspection - F, Talking - C, Standing - F, Walking - F, Lifting-0-30 lbs. - F, Lifting-30-60 lbs. - O, Pushing/Pulling - F, Climbing-Stairs - O, Bending - F, Squatting - O, Reaching - OWork Environment:
Night/Dark - F, Inside - F, Outside - F, Ventilation ConditionsDust - F, Ventilation ConditionsFumes - O, Ventilation ConditionsChemicals - O, Chemical Spills - F, Infectious Bacteria - O, Overtime - R