Executive Director The Data Science Academy
PG190746EPInternal Recruitment :
Executive Director The Data Science AcademyAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with Experience.Work Schedule:
Monday-Friday 8am-5pmJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Provost's OfficeAbout the Department:
The Data Science Academy will be a key player in advancing NC State’s strategy to enhance interdisciplinary teaching, scholarship, and outreach to solve global problems. At NC State, “data science is for everyone,” and the Data Science Academy will lead the multidisciplinary educational, research, and engagement efforts to integrate data science across NC State and its partners and affiliates.
NC State will establish the Data Science Academy on July 1, 2021. Data science activities can already be found in every college at NC State. NC State has already made substantial investments in data science faculty hiring through the Chancellor’s Faculty Excellence Program clusters. The goals of the Academy will be to establish a focal point for data science activities at NC State, involve faculty and students broadly across the university in data science education and scholarship, and position NC State as an international leader in data scienceEssential Job Duties:
- NC State invites applications for the position of director of the Data Science Academy. The university seeks a visionary leader with a bold commitment to develop the Academy’s programs and establish an international reputation for NC State as a leader in data science.
- The director must be an experienced, innovative, creative, and collaborative leader who understands the importance of interdisciplinary education and scholarship.
- The director should understand the emerging field of data science and provide leadership for both methodological development and broad application of data science. The director will oversee academic, administrative, development, partnership, and budgetary affairs for the Academy and will report to the executive vice chancellor and provost.
The director is responsible for:
- Providing strong leadership and strategic direction for the Academy;
- Representing the Academy within the university and to external partners and constituencies;
- Developing the cross-college academic offerings of the Academy;
- Fostering high-impact interdisciplinary collaborations and partnerships;
- Creating a strong affiliated faculty for the Academy;
- Partnering across campus to create excellence in data science scholarship;
- Being a visible, interactive participant in external-facing activities with alumni and donors.
- Inclusiveness and diversity are integral to NC State’s commitment to excellence in research, engagement, and education. We are particularly interested in candidates who have demonstrated experience engaging with diversity through activities such as fostering an inclusive environment, working with students from diverse backgrounds, or incorporating diverse perspectives in research.
Additional duties as assigned.Minimum Experience and Education:
- Candidates should possess the terminal degree in their field and should be qualified for appointment as a tenured full professor at North Carolina State University.
- Candidates’ background should provide evidence of strong abilities to work effectively and collaboratively with faculty, university administration, and other constituent groups and partners both within and outside the university.
- The candidate should demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching and research excellence, with a record commensurate with the expectations of a major research university.
N/ARequired License(s) or Certification(s):
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
01/08/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled.Position Number:
Tenured/Tenure-Track FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
1.0Mandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
020101 - Provost's OfficeAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.