Research TechnicianAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with experience ($33,000 - $34,266)Work Schedule:
7:00am - 4:00pm / Monday-Friday (additional work hours may be required especially during planting, irrigation and harvest seasons, research projects or weather may alter work schedule)Job Location:
Central Crops Research Station (Clayton, NC)Department:
Central Crops Research StationAbout the Department:
Central Crops Research Station is one of eighteen agricultural research centers in the State of North Carolina. North Carolina State University owns the Central Crops Research Station with operational management through the Division of Research Stations. North Carolina State University and the Division of Research Stations establish the general operating procedures. The primary purpose of the Research Station is to provide land, personnel, expertise, facilities and equipment to research scientists conducting agricultural research projects which address specific questions of crop and animal production in North Carolina.Essential Job Duties:
- The Research Technician position is a multiple discipline agricultural research field position in support of all three research units. Assisting with all tasks related to the establishment, maintenance, and disposition of the field crops, vegetables, fruit, tobacco and animal specimens. The employee will apply treatments to research subjects according to protocol including pesticides, fertilizers and irrigation.
- Operate a wide variety of agriculture equipment to prepare fields, apply treatments and harvest crops. Assist research personnel with plot layout, implementation of treatments, and collection and recording of data. Hand planting and harvest are required along with assisting research personnel in the seed processing and swine facility. Work with various types of irrigation equipment including laying solid set pipe and setting up drip irrigation.
- This position will assist with maintenance of equipment, grounds, buildings, field plots and other tasks.
- The validity of research test depends upon the quality of work in the Research technician position. This position is assigned to the Horticulture unit in addition they will provide support for all areas of the research station.
- Assist project staff on research programs in field crops, horticulture, tobacco, forages, small grains and swine research.
- Employee will also assist with maintenance and repair of the entire research station as needed. May be asked to assist with Division of Research Stations, other research stations or emergency activities across the state as need arises.
Demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work.Other Required Qualifications:
- Knowledge of agricultural practices related to crop production.
- Must be able to lift 60 lbs. on a routine basis.
- Ability to operate farm machinery accurately and safely making required adjustments in the field.
- Ability to identify minor issues and make repairs with limited supervision.
- Ability to communicate in both oral and written form.
- Ability to read and follow pesticide labels and research protocols.
- Ability to read and understand standard operating procedures, collect and record data accurately.
- Ability to work effectively independently or in a team environment.
- Four year degree and two years of agricultural experience or a combination of equivalent experience and education.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of agricultural practices related to soil fertility, plant nutrition crop and livestock production.
- Experience in agriculture and/or swine production and agricultural research.
- Experience operating and adjusting farm equipment including calibration.
- Knowledge of how to and experience figuring acreage and calculating application rates.
- Experience utilizing precision agriculture equipment.
- Valid NC Drivers License or ability to obtain within 60 days of start.
- Public Pesticide Applicators License or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
- NCDA forklift license or obtained within 6 months of hire.
- Fumigation applicator certification obtained within one year of start.
YesCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
01/08/2021Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
Applicant required documents: Cover Letter, Resume, Contact Information for ReferencesPosition Number:
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
Research TechnicianPosition Classification Band Level:
JourneyPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200 - $66,122Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Medical EmergenciesTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
115003 - Central Crops Research StationAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.