Biological Scientist II
Job no: 515456
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Department:29100000 - MD-PHARMACOLOGY / THERAPEUTICS
Advertised: 08 Jan 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 15 Jan 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Biological Scientist IIJob Description:
The Biological Scientist II herein described assists researchers in a laboratory focused on understanding the cellular and molecular mechanisms of fatty fibrosis and the development of novel mechanism-based therapeutics. Techniques used in the lab include cell-based assays, mouse husbandry, surgery and tissue harvest, immunofluorescence, imaging, RNA isolation and RT-qPCR. The successful candidate is expected to manage a breeding mouse colony, participate in the planning, logistics, and execution of experiments under the supervision of the principal investigator (PI) and assist the PI in the overall administration of the laboratory operations.
[50%] – Manage a breeding mouse colony of approx. 150 cages, under the supervision of the PI, including daily monitoring of animal health and well-being, animal breeding to maintain multiple lines of genetically engineered mice, tagging, weaning, and culling, animal genotyping by qPCR, maintaining detailed records, oral gavaging, muscle injections and tissue harvest.
[25%] – Participate in the planning and execution of experiments under the supervision of the PI. Assist researchers in performing standard laboratory techniques; perform a wide variety of experiments and experimental analyses.
[15%] – Assist in teaching or instructing postdoctoral scholars and graduate students in methods or procedures or supervising their research. Assist in managing laboratory teams or directing the work of other scientists, technicians, and other workers.
[10%] – Participate in the daily operations of the laboratory, including ordering and restocking supplies, glass wash, autoclaving, biohazard trash inactivation and disposal.
$35,000 - $39,000Minimum Requirements:
Master’s degree in biology or a closely related field and one year of relevant experience or Doctoral degree in biology or a closely related field.Preferred Qualifications:
• Detailed experience with genetic, molecular, and/or cell biology research techniques in a research or clinical laboratory.
• Experience with small laboratory animals (rodents) including tail biopsies, gavaging, muscle injections, tissue harvest
• Experience with immunohistochemistry, microscopy and image analysis
• Experience in culture of mammalian cells, DNA/RNA extractions and RT-qPCR
• Experience in writing and adhering to procedures and protocols is critical
• Positive attitude to work with a track record of working well with other lab members and performing all work in a safe manner
• The ability to work independently, analyze and present data, multitask, and maintain close communication with the Principal Investigator
• Ability to complete reports using English
"In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter, resume and 3 references"
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required: