Academic Mentor (Wage)
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2021-01-08
UVA Athletics Academic Affairs seeks a diverse candidate pool of Academic Mentors to support student-athletes in building essential skills to achieve academic success. Qualified Applicants will become a member of the Cavalier Academic Support Team (CAST).
Academic Mentors meet with their assigned student(s) on a regular schedule (typically two to four times a week; however, this can vary) to develop weekly comprehensive academic tasks in order to enhance basic study skills techniques such as organization, reading, time management, note-taking, working with faculty, etc.
Academic Mentors receive training from the Academic Affairs staff on the CAST framework for mentoring sessions, academic task development, and support strategies specific to course curriculum.
Areas of support include, but are not limited to, all reading material, preparing for exams, preparing for written assignments, and preparing for discussion sections. Academic mentors will be asked to work with individuals from a broad range of backgrounds and to build a strong mentor/mentee relationship with student-athletes. Focus during a mentoring session is placed on teaching skills which are directly applicable to current assignments, yet also relevant to future coursework.
Academic Mentor Responsibilities:
- Comply with all NCAA and ACC rules and regulations as well as the UVA Honor Code guidelines through continuous training.
- Conduct structured sessions following the CAST mentor framework.
- Meet with designated students as assigned to develop foundational skills.
- Read course syllabi and build comprehensive academic tasks.
- Complete timely session reports via the Athletics Academic Affairs reporting system.
- Communicate with Academic Affairs staff regarding any issues or concerns with student performance.
- Establish professional working relationship with student-athletes and the Athletics Academic Affairs Staff.
- Attend orientation and ongoing training sessions.
- Monitor student progress and report to the appropriate constituents.
- Commit to at least four hours of work a week and one full academic semester.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Academic Mentoring Program Hours: Sessions take place between 8am-10pm. Availability at least four days a week with evening hours are preferred.
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 4-20 hours based on availability and student need
To apply, please submit an application online through Workday at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs and attach a current CV/Resume. Search on requisition number: R0020982. Interviews will be conducted remotely.
Position Compensation Range: Compensation is based on level of education and will range from $13.00-$15.00 Hourly.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will require an Education Verification, Criminal and International Background Check (FSAKA).
This is a wage position which is not eligible for leave or other benefits and is limited to 1500 hours of work in a year. For more information, refer to the Wage Employment link: http://uvapolicy.virginia.edu/policy/HRM-029.
Questions related to the application process may be directed to Brandi Shifflett, HR Specialist at email@example.com.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- One-year experience with teaching, advising, tutoring or mentoring. Volunteer experience and experience as a student will be considered.
- Successful applicants must have strong communication skills, be highly-organized, able to maintain confidentiality, able to maintain academic integrity, and able to work independently.
- Master’s Degree
- Experience working with students in higher education.
- 3-5 years’ experience with teaching, advising, tutoring or mentoring.
- Experience working with student-athletes.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. Sessions will take place virtually for the Spring 2021 semester with the potential for in-person sessions.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.