COMPUTER SUPPORT SPECIALIST,BUMC Information Technology
COMPUTER SUPPORT SPECIALIST,BUMC Information TechnologyTracking Code3876 Job Description
The Boston University Medical Campus Information Technology (BUMC IT) department is seeking a self-motivated, critical-thinking, and passionate technology professional to fill the role of Computer Support Specialist. BUMC IT supports the faculty, staff, and students at the schools of the Medical Campus, including the School of Medicine and School of Public Health. The right applicant will work closely with these communities to provide technical expertise, assess business needs, advocate for, and implement technology solutions.
The Computer Support Specialist is responsible for the support, installation, and troubleshooting of Windows and Mac computers connected with and/or operating on the Boston University Medical Campus. This particular role will also provide support to the Department of Physiology and Biophysics' Linux workstations as well as serving as the main point of contact for their technical support issues.
Some Linux knowledge and a strong ability to learn and adapt to new situations is a must. Additionally, this position will provide broad technology support for computers working with scientific machinery, primarily but not exclusively in research cores. Some experience in the following areas and technologies in use at BUMC would be preferable:
- Computer management, security, and deployment (Quest KACE, JAMF, CrowdStrike, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit) - Web conferencing applications (Microsoft Teams, Zoom)
- File sharing and file backup applications (OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, Code42, Windows/SMB network shares
The ideal candidate is one that values the client experience above all, is resourceful, adaptable, thrives in a team-based structure, and ensures technology works for the client.Required Skills
- Bachelor's Degree and 3-5 years of experience required
- Technical Expertise: Strong experience with diagnosing Windows, macOS, and Linux issues.
- Experience with Linux is required.
- Must be able to troubleshoot software, hardware, and network issues.
- Preferred experience working with Active Directory including group policies, AD groups, and file permissions.
- An understanding of restricted-use data is required.
- Should be comfortable with installing, configuring, and upgrading Windows and Mac applications, various specialized applications, peripherals, and mobile devices.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP LAN/wireless networking principles and application protocols, i.e. HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP and FTP.
- Experience with WordPress and web site content management and development.
- Experience with a variety of tools commonly leveraged in a complex enterprise environment such as remote assistance, asset management, image and deployment, patching, backup and restore virus protection, and various native and centrally managed encryption solutions required.
- Must be able to lift moderately heavy equipment (up to 50 pounds).
- Must follow procedures and keep accurate records of incidents and requests while working in the field.
- Strong writing and organizational skills required.
- Demonstrate patience when problem-solving complex technical issues, over the phone and in person, with diverse customers.
- Learn and support new technology quickly.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills absolutely necessary.
- An energetic, self-directed, motivated, and professional individual who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Interact with all levels of an organization in a professional, diplomatic, and tactful manner.
- Work well with external vendors.
- Work productively in cross-functional teams and/or resourcefully and independently as an individual.
- Must possess the ability to work autonomously and maintain control in rapidly changing situations.
- A high level of independent decision making is required
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.Job Location Boston, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular