Steward ObservatoryDepartment Website Link:
Outside of TucsonAddress:
AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The department of Steward Observatory seeks to fill one or two positions of Custodian I. The primary purpose of this position is to maintain and clean university buildings at three remote sites used for research, education, and public outreach. These observatory sites are located on Kitt Peak, Mt. Bigelow, and Mt. Lemmon, Arizona. Each site is at least 1 hour of driving from the main UA campus. All of the sites include telescope domes, dormitories, and several support buildings that need attention.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more! The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting work and living areas at remote sites. This includes operating cleaning equipment, using chemicals and other cleaning products safely, and laundry (primarily bed linens and towels).
- Removing trash from the sites and assisting in general facilities maintenance that does not require specialized training.
- Occasionally maintaining outside walkways, steps and roof tops, shoveling snow, and trimming/pruning vegetation as needed around observatory grounds.
- Driving University provided vehicles to and from UA campus to remote observatory locations; occasionally picking up and delivering supplies to and from said locations.
- Replenishing and organizing cleaning supplies and equipment; maintaining inventory levels; notifying appropriate staff when said items need to be ordered, repaired or replaced.
- Ability and skills needed to use a computer or cellular phone to send/respond to email (Microsoft Outlook), complete time sheets (Microsoft Excel), fill out forms, use teleconferencing software (Zoom) and participate in electronic training courses.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience may be required.
- Candidates must have the ability to work at high altitudes (10,000 feet) for sustained periods, and under adverse weather conditions including high winds, snow and thunderstorms.
- 1 -2 years Custodial experience with knowledge using and maintaining cleaning equipment (floor buffer, vacuums, carpet shampooer).
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs, and climb ladders and stairs at elevation (and carry items up and down them).
- Ability to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy.
- Experience in maintenance/mechanical skills (ex experience with basic hand tools; screwdriver, hammer, etc)
- Experience driving 4 x 4 vehicle.
- Mountain and snow driving experience.
Non-ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Facilities, Grounds and InfrastructureBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
1Career Stream and Level:
Facilities Mgmt & ServicesJob Function:
Facil, Grounds, & InfraType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
2Target Hire Date:
1/17/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
1/8/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.