Temporary Administrative Assistant
Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-01-08
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
Office of Disabilities Services
8:30 to 5:00, Monday-Friday
Performs office and related support tasks, clerical duties and/or general office duties which include providing student services, creating reports, maintaining statistics, filing systems, answering telephones (taking messages, routing calls, answering routine questions), database maintenance, referring visitors, sorting and distributing mail and answering routine questions. Plans and arranges daily office activities. Much of the work is non-routine and self-directed while handling multiple projects simultaneously. Confidentiality is of the utmost concern in this position especially while interacting with parents, students, visitors and other university officials. Work is done with minimal supervision. Supervisor(s) must be kept informed of progress on assignments and concerns.
- The Office of Disability Services opens at 8:30 am Monday thru Friday. The Office Assistant is responsible for opening the office, retrieving phone messages and distributing to the appropriate person, the main correspondent for disability services email, as well as reviewing exam schedule/status and ensuring that all exams have had arrangements made for pick-up & delivery, contacting instructors to clarify arrangements.
- Greets visitors (students, prospective students, parents, faculty, and other administrators) and escort them to the appropriate person for assistance. Monitor the flow of students in the Camner Center/ODS by announcing visitors or informing appointment arrival.
- The Office Assistant will respond to routine questions about the ODS and route non-routine questions to the appropriate individual (ODS Assistant Director, Associate Director, Accommodations Coordinator, Testing Coordinator, or other staff member of the Camner Center).
- The Office Assistant will maintain the supply, organization, and current copies of all ODS forms and distribute to parents and students as necessary. The assistant will also be prepared to review the basic policies outlined on each of the forms with parents and respond to questions.
- The Office Assistant will maintain the check out log for all equipment, contact facilities with problems, and distribute keys for the lifts. The Office Assistant will be responsible for monitoring case files through our online system, Accommodate and working with Assistant Director of ODS to process file requests.
- Responsible for distributing accommodation letters, organizing packets, the distribution of letters to students, and filing this information.
- Responsible for general office files and filing systems. It is important that the keeps all file information CONFIDENTIAL. Files should be kept in cabinets or locked drawers at all times, given the open location of the office assistant’s workspace. Responsibilities include the purging and scanning of inactive and active files based on the graduation report.
- Responsible for assisting with scheduling of exams, following established procedures for obtaining and returning exams when needed. The testing coordinator handles scheduling of exams, however, the office assistant is the back up for this.
- The Office Assistant will be responsible for general office files and filing systems. Responsibilities include filing and maintenance tasks. It is important that the Office Assistant keeps all file information CONFIDENTIAL. Student information should be kept in cabinets or locked drawers at all times, given the open location of the office assistant’s workspace. Responsibilities include the purging and scanning of inactive and active files based on the graduation report.
- The Office Assistant will be a back-up to the testing coordinator for maintaining the integrity of the student examination schedule following established procedures for obtaining and returning exams and for providing specified accommodations. Specific responsibilities related to test taking include:
Coordination of exam approvals.
Scheduling of exams in Accommodate
Confirmation of exam time with student or faculty member when conflicts with the regular class time occur
- The Office Assistant will serve as a back-up to the testing coordinator for the scheduling of work-study students to pick-up and deliver exams as per the policy and procedures of the ODS. Specific responsibilities related to obtaining examinations:
Daily exam pick-ups and returns will be the responsibility of the office assistant. All exams should be returned by 5pm the day of the exam or within 24 hours when weather or staff
Maintain and file hard copies of returned exams sheets.
- Participates in the coordination of note taking accommodations by keeping a spreadsheet and using Accommodate. The Office Assistant will evaluate the need to update or re-vamp the ODS bulletin board with information about activities, jobs, and scholarship information on a semester by semester basis. This includes posting information related to ODS students or faculty as directed.
- The Office Assistant will assist the Assistant Director and Coordinator with completing and routing paperwork associated with Camner Center operations, ODS final reporting, documenting of procedures, or the ODS manual for student workers and graduate students.
- The Office Assistant will participate in the planning, coordination, and execution of final exams. ODS will open at 8am during final exams and ODS secretary is responsible for opening the office at 7:30am and preparing for final exams.
- The Office Assistant will maintain the ODS calendar to keep track of all ODS functions, meetings, exams, and appointments of all ODS staff. Specifically, collaborative meetings and intake meetings with the Accommodations Coordinator will be scheduled in 30 minute intervals.
- All other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director, Associate Director, or Director.
Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat is required.
High school diploma or equivalent
Certification and Licensing:
Minimum 1 year of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- General knowledge of office procedures and operations.
- Ability to accurately prepare and maintain records, files, reports and correspondence.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Proficiency in computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office).
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:Temporary - Charge Back (Fixed Term)Pay Grade:c103