Senior Research Dosimetrist
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Senior Physicist, and working closely with the Director of Operations, the Manager of Informatics and Computing, and the Manager of Data Management, the Senior Research Dosimetrist is responsible for the dosimetry review program and ensuring that the programs and the resources available meet the obligations of the grant.
- Coordinates the dosimetry review process, which includes both on-treatment reviews and final reviews prior to QARC Review Meetings with visiting physicians.
- Assists Research Dosimetrists in evaluating treatment plans.
- Trains new Research Dosimetrists and new Per Diem Research Dosimetrists in chart review procedures and use of the QARC database design of the database needed to capture data.
- Participates in the hiring and discipline of dosimetry staff.
- Participates in the review of the protocol patient’s treatment, which includes extracting pertinent data from the treatment records, entering data into the computerized patient database and comparing the results of the patient’s treatment with the protocol requirements.
- Assesses benchmarks submitted by institutions to assure that the institution’s treatment planning methodology and treatment techniques are technically sound and achieve results in compliance with protocol guidelines.
- Consults with physicists and dosimetrists at participating institutions to discuss specific protocol dosimetry, radiotherapy protocol guidelines, and the institution’s benchmark cases.
- Participates in the review of protocols in development to assess whether the intended guidelines are appropriate, clear, concise and technically achievable.
- Participates in the development of benchmark cases and questionnaires to obtain information from institutions regarding their treatment techniques and treatment planning capabilities.
- Provides dosimetry education to the staff members of QARC
- Participates in the development of quality assurance review procedures for advanced technology treatments, such as 3D treatment planning, IMRT, and proton therapy.
- Participates in the design of databases to capture the data of new treatment modalities.
- Participates with others in clinical research projects which emerge from the data collected and the review of protocol patients.
- Attends QARC Review Meetings interacting with the visiting physicians.
- Represents QARC at National Cooperative Group Meetings. This may include up to 4 meetings each year (some on weekends) and may entail formal presentations of QARC physics program updates.
- Related tasks as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Mathematics, or equivalent.
- 5 years experience in radiation treatment planning/dosimetry.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Normal visual acuity.
Under the general direction of the Senior Physicist
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Research Dosimetrists and Per Diem Research Dosimetrists.
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Usual office environment May require travel to off-sites. Must be able to work some nights and weekendsAdditional Information
This position is located at the QARC data center in Lincoln, RI. QARC provides radiation therapy and diagnostic imaging services to sponsors conducting cancer clinical trials. This position has no patient contact.