Visiting Research Specialist (Third Shift) - VDL (140998)
Visiting Research Specialist
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
College of Veterinary Medicine
The College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking up to eight (8) Visiting Research Specialists to utilize molecular and conventional techniques to detect the presence of pathogens. Maintain laboratory equipment, order supplies, and interact with Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory personnel. Perform PCR, qPCR and qRT-PCR testing, and participate in surveillance testing in support of COVID-19 testing efforts with the University of Illinois.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform aseptic techniques and proper handling of infectious substances.
- Interact with VDL personnel, appropriate assigning test procedures for specimens, process specimens for immediate testing or storage for future testing and coordinate timing of the assays with other lab personnel.
- Perform assays to detect the pathogen, traditional or real-time PCR, RFLP or sequencing of amplicons, and other methods for validation? write Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Maintain computer proficiency appropriate to enter results into a database and report results to supervisors and communicate with sections heads and directors.
- Order appropriate materials, maintain inventory of reagents and supplies, care for lab equipment and include proper documentation of all quality control and assurance procedures.
- Work independently on assigned projects.
Bachelor's degree is Life Sciences field, such as Biochemistry, Biology, Molecular and Cell Biology, Microbiology or Animal Sciences, etc.
MCB or Microbiology with emphasis in virology or bacteriology.
Minimum one year of practical experience in molecular biology or related field.
Experience with real-time PCR and/or sequencing.
Training, Licenses or Certifications:
Training in microbiology, virology, molecular assays including PCR and rPCR.
Training in microbiology, virology, molecular assays including PCR and rPCR in a
diagnostic or clinical setting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Understanding of nucleic acid isolation and detection methods including primer selection, probe designs and requirements for template quality, extraction and amplification controls.
Knowledge of ABI-7500 Fast or Quant Studio Thermal Cyclers, BioSprint, and/or King-Fisher nucleic acid extraction instrument operations.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This is a 12-month, full-time, benefits eligible Visiting Academic Professional Position. This position will be assigned to work third shift. This position may become non-visiting at a later date.
Proposed Start Date:
As soon as possible after close date.
For full consideration, please create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your resume, a cover letter, and the names and email addresses or phone numbers of three professional references by January 21, 2021. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Drew Schlosser at [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Vet Medicine Administration Category:6-Research Title:Visiting Research Specialist (Third Shift) - VDL (140998) Open Date:01/07/2021 Organization Name:Veterinary Diagnostic Lab