Communications Specialist, Program for Leadership and Character
Job location: Winston Salem, NC
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-01-07
- Additional documentation must be added at the bottom of the third screen under the "My Experience."
- Internal candidates must apply via the internal career portal. Do not proceed with your application from this website.
- DO NOT complete the application without the required attachments as you will be unable to edit your application.
Wake Forest University is a private, coeducational institution dedicated to academic excellence in liberal arts, graduate and professional education. Located in Winston-Salem, NC (“The City of Arts and Innovation”), the University is ranked among the top thirty national universities by U.S. News and World Report. The University has a deep institutional commitment to public service and engagement with the world, as indicated by the motto Pro Humanitate (for humanity), which encourages students to develop the qualities of human character needed to serve humanity. With the aim to educate the whole person, the University has established an innovative Program for Leadership and Character that plans creative, liberal arts-based programming to help students develop the virtues of character needed to lead in an increasingly complex world. The Program is based on cutting-edge academic research on leadership and character, including research conducted by Wake Forest faculty in philosophy and psychology who are leading experts on the study of character. The Program has established a partnership with the Oxford Character Project and has been profiled as a model for how universities can educate character. The Program recently received a major grant from the Lilly Endowment to develop leaders of character at Wake Forest and support other colleges and universities who seek to infuse leadership and character at their campuses. This is a two-year position (ending December 31, 2022), with the opportunity for renewal based on performance and funding.
Wake Forest University welcomes and encourages diversity and inclusivity and seeks applicants with demonstrated success in working with diverse populations. Wake Forest University is an AA/EO employer and values an inclusive and diverse learning community and campus climate. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please submit a cover letter explaining your communications experience and your fit with the Program for Leadership and Character; a resumé or curriculum vitae; and a portfolio of 3-5 pieces of relevant communications work (stories, newsletters, videos, posters, reports, etc.).Job Description
- Manages communications (e.g. social media posts, emails, videos, etc.) on behalf of the Program.
- Drafts copy for all forms of communication
- Collects information, writes, designs, and delivers a regular newsletter during the academic year.
- Maintains and updates the content on the Program’s website.
- Manages the Program’s internal communications with our staff and the wider WFU campus.
- Writes stories and profiles about faculty, staff, students, and events that convey the value of leadership and character development, the impact and reach of our program, and the importance of research, scholarship, and creativity.
- Provides and coordinates a strong digital media presence to advertise events and highlight achievements.
- Assists with annual reports to the College and our funding agencies.
- Works closely with the Program team to broaden the reach and impact of the Program to internal and external constituencies in a manner consistent with our mission.
- Collaborates with the University's Communications and External Relations (CER) office on news and announcements that may require coordinated messaging, appeal to a wider University audience, and/ or draw external media interest.
- Works collaboratively with various divisions within CER including Design, Writing, Video, Digital, News & Media Relations, and Events.
- Coordinates with outside consultants and contractors for graphic design, video production, and communications strategy as needed.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree with three to five years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Exceptional ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; strong command of grammar, diction, and English usage in professional business communications, including accuracy in proofreading, composing correspondence, editing, and typing.
- The ability to think creatively and communicate strategically with a range of relevant audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter; a person with a strong work ethic who takes initiative, works with minimal supervision, and completes tasks without prompting.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills; ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work professionally, courteously and effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community, including students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- High degree of professionalism, integrity, and dependability.
- Commitment to supporting the intellectual and ethical development of students.
- Experience with, and sensitivity to, diverse audiences and the ability to communicate in ways that respect and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive information and records in accordance with state and federal laws and professional ethics; ability to manage and distribute information appropriately.
- Ability to represent the Programs and the University in a professional manner.
- Openness to feedback and a commitment to personal and professional growth.
- Proficiency with technology and computers, including demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and the ability to learn website management and other relevant software.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Experience in higher education.
- Experience with graphic design.
- Responsible for own work.
- Works under limited supervision. Commitment to position and the mission of the program.
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.Additional Job DescriptionTime Type RequirementFull timeNote to Applicant:This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce while promoting an inclusive work environment committed to excellence in the spirit of Pro Humanitate. In adherence with applicable laws and as provided by University policies, the University prohibits discrimination in its employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, disability and veteran status and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.