ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST - ASSOCIATE VP OF HEART SERVICES
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Job Title: ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST
Job Code: 4556
Job Level: D2
Revised Date: 01/01/2007
Supervisory Responsibility: No
General Description of the Job Class
Provide high-level administrative support to department or group of professionals. Apply knowledge and skills to resolve complex administrative problems independently or with others.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Schedule and maintain a challenging calendar of appointments, meetings and travel itineraries, and coordinate related arrangements.
- Partner with other support staff on an ongoing basis to coordinate multiple demanding calendars, while ensuring that critical meetings are scheduled, and business objectives are met.
- Develop advanced presentation materials; independently prepare complex documentation, reports, charts, graphs, and spreadsheets at designated intervals and as requested.
- Create complex databases.
- Compile and manipulate data, summarize findings and write reports or portions of reports.
- Extract and compile a range of data from written sources, individuals, and/or databases, providing a limited interpretation of data.
- Compose, proofread or edit formal correspondence, memoranda, and short reports for internal or external circulations. Assemble attachments and corresponding material. Review outgoing material for completeness, dates, and signatures.
- Coordinate communications between the supervisor and other professional and administrative staff, within and outside the organization.
- Serve as principal source of information to staff and visitors for questions.
- Respond to requests for information and provide assistance as appropriate.
- Prioritize and resolve inquiries (phone, e-mail, in-person).
- Analyze complex information requests and determine complex trends.
- Determine administrative needs for conferences, meetings, seminars or other related high level activity where the leadership is in charge of event. Assemble and arrange for necessary items.
- Assist in developing budgets and monitoring expenditures, reconcile financial statements. Investigate discrepancies and process corrective action.
- Act as a liaison between the department and external groups.
- Interpret and communicate policies/procedures to other parties based on knowledge of the organization and departmental guidelines.
- Coordinate and complete special projects independently or in cooperation with other groups as assigned.
- Plan and coordinate special events as assigned.
- May routinely provide leadership and direction to lower-level co- workers.
- May provide input to the performance appraisal process and hiring and firing of lower level staff.
- Assist with screening applications and conducting initial interviews of entry level staff as needed.
- Orient and train entry level staff, and oversee administrative staff in a variety of administrative task.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Required Qualifications at this Level
- High school education or equivalent with five years of administrative support experience of increasing variety, complexity and demonstration of work leadership.
- Two years postsecondary education with three years of experience.
- OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- In-depth knowledge of department policies, procedures, and goals as well as administrative support in completing complex tasks.
- Demonstrated the understanding of basic leadership approaches such as work scheduling, prioritizing and coaching.
- Demonstrated success applying highest level of secretarial skills.
- Demonstrated the ability to gain the confidence and cooperation of peers.
- Demonstrated editing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and meet demanding deadlines.
- Must be self direct and able to take initiative.
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.