Assistant Professor of Political Science (American Politics)
Assistant Professor of Political Science (American Politics)Requisition:
Assistant ProfessorFLSA status:
Salary commensurate with education and experience.Position Type:
Full-Time Tenure TrackCollege:
College of Humanities and Social SciencesDepartment:
Dept of Political ScienceOpen Date:
Dr. Stacy UlbigTitle:
Department of Political Science
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
1901 Avenue I
Huntsville, TX 77341-2149
The Department of Political Science at Sam Houston State University invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor beginning August 2021. The successful candidate will possess a Doctoral degree in Political science with specialization in U.S. Congress and Legislative Politics. Secondary research interest in policy areas relevant to political science are preferred but not required. The successful candidate will be expected to teach face-to-face and online courses in the department’s political science undergraduate and graduate programs. The teaching load for the position is three courses in both the fall and spring semesters. Summer courses are not included in the teaching load.
Review of complete applications will commence January 4, 2021.Educational Requirements for the Position:
Applicants must have a PhD in political science from an accredited university or institution of higher learning. ABD candidates will be considered but they must have a PhD by the start date (August 2021).Other Requirements for the Position:
• Cover Letter
• Current CV that includes, if applicable, a summary of previous teaching experience and the format of each course taught (i.e., face-to-face, online, hybrid).
• All graduate transcripts – Unofficial transcripts will be accepted during the application process. However, the successful candidate must submit official transcripts documenting all post-secondary degrees and coursework.
• Two letters of recommendation from individuals who are familiar with the applicant’s teaching and research abilities and who have worked with the applicant in the past two years.
• Recent student teaching evaluations covering the last two semesters of teaching, if available (Those without teaching evaluations, will need to upload a placeholder document in lieu of evaluations).
• Teaching statement, including a discussion of online pedagogy.
• Diversity statement discussing how the applicant would engage a diverse student population such as Sam Houston State University that meets the College of Humanities and Social Sciences core goals:
“The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Sam Houston State University is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the academic community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The college welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community.”
Please note: References provided in the References section of the application will receive an automated email reference request at the time the application is submitted.Open Until Filled:
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Plan Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code 51.215.